Chapter 11

Here we go! Sorry for taking so long to update! Love you all to pieces! Enjoy this chapter!

Dean tried to clear his head. That face. Adam’s face. For a long time, Adam had been Dean’s boss but they were not times Dean liked to look back on.

Flashback

Dean sat on the curb.

“You ok kid?”

Dean looked up to see a sandy haired boy standing over him.

“I need a job but no one will take me.”

The boy sat down next to Dean.

“How desperately do you need a job?”

“Really badly. We have like no food and I need to look after my little brother.”

“I can offer you a job.”

Dean looked up in surprise. The boy had lit a cigarette.

“What would I have to do?”

“You said you were desperate.”

When Dean had made that agreement he hadn’t realised quite what Adam had meant. It had started with stealing a few small things from shops. Dean had stayed. Though he felt guilty, the pay was as good as Adam had promised and for once he and Sam had had proper meals. Then Adam raised the standards. Dean started to sell things on Adam’s behalf. It was all very illegal but Dean focussed on the pay at the end and he somehow managed to sleep at night. Then one day Adam’s request took a turn for the worst.

Flashback

Dean waited behind the door to be called in by Adam. He could hear whispers from the other side.

“Trust me he can do it.”

“He’s just a kid Adam!”

“I have him under control. He will do it.”

The door opened and Dean entered the room.

“Dean.”

Adam was stood in the middle of the room and there were about six other tough looking guys leaning against the wall.

“Somebody has come to our attention and we wish to eliminate him. We have come to the decision to try and get him to surrender to us first so we have a task for you. Mr and Mrs Novak. They live at 25 west downer street. They need to be killed. Can you do that?”

“So... you need me to kill a mother and father in cold blood?”

Yes. I can assure you the pay will be so good you won’t have to come back once you have completed your task.”

Dean looked around the room shocked. He could tell that Adam’s reputation rested on his saying yes.

“No. Adam I can’t I’m sorry.”

Adam looked at Dean, shocked, as the younger boy left the room.

Dean ran home as fast as possible. When he woke in the morning he saw that Mr. and Mrs. Novak had been murdered the night before. Dean had cried into his pillow that entire day. He could have stopped it. He could have stopped it by going to the police. He could have ratted everyone out but then he would have got himself and his dad into trouble. Dean had been very careful not to bump into anybody on the streets and tended to stay in his room for as long as he could.

Dean had felt insanely guilty the first time he realised who they were living next to but he could never bring himself to tell Cas. Now Adam was back in their lives and Dean couldn’t help but entertain the fact that he wanted to eliminate another member of the Novak family. There was no way Dean was going to let that happen a second time. No way.

Adam and Jo arrived home as Cas was closing up shop.

“Hey Castiel!” Jo let go of Adam’s hand to give the other boy a hug. Cas watched as Adam’s eyes clouded slightly with confusion.

“Don’t worry Adam. I’m gay so she’s all yours.” Cas laughed.

“Oh! Are you dating Dean Winchester?”

Cas looked up in surprise. “Yes. How did you know?”

“I heard the gossip.”

Cas shrugged. “Jo I’m going to Dean’s. He left in a strop and I want to check if he’s ok.”

“Sure Cas.”

Cas rang the bell at Dean’s house and the green-eyed boy pulled the door open. Dean had tracks of tears staining his cheeks.

“Can I come in?”

Dean saw the pure worry in Cas’ eyes and stepped out of the way to let Cas in. Dean pulled Cas into his room and closed the door. Cas pulled Dean into a hug. He could feel how tense Dean was. Dean felt his tears fall onto Cas’ t-shirt.

“Hey Dean it’s ok.”

“No Cas. It’s really not. It’s really very far from ok.”

Dean was worried about who Adam was targeting. Surely he wanted revenge on Dean but also wanted to finish the job on the Novak case. For the Novaks there were still another three siblings so that made the solution no clearer. For him on the other hand... Sam? That son of a bitch had better not touch his baby brother. There was only one other person Dean really cared about and that was... Dean’s train of thought stopped dead.

Adam didn’t have to kill two people to get what he wanted. He could kill two birds with one stone. All he had to do was kill Cas.

Dean screamed “No!” and sprung away from Cas. Dean backed against the wall at full speed and crumpled to the floor.

“Dean!” Cas ran over and knelt next to his boyfriend with concern. Dean lifted his head slightly and looked Cas in the eyes.

“It’s you. He wants you. I won’t let him Castiel. Not this time.” And with that Dean blacked out. The last thing he heard was Cas calling his name and shaking his shoulders.