Fix You- Blood Brothers

Third POV

Stefan Salvatore lay on a cot on his back, his arm hanging over the edge and his face turned to the side. Though he was in a cell in the basement of the Salvatore boarding house in 2010, flashes of the year 1864 played through his head.

He remembered the final night Elizabeth drank from him. He hadn't known his father laced his tea with vervain, so his blood poisoned Elizabeth and she was outed as a vampire as well as Katherine. They both had been muzzled, tied, and carried away along with the rest of the vampires and loaded in to the back of a carriage normally used for prisoners.

He and Damon- though angry at Stefan- had followed the carriage out in to the woods. While they watched Jonathan Gilbert lead the mob of hunters, the brothers plotted to free Elizabeth.

Stefan served as a distraction, claiming to have found another vampire deeper in to the woods, and led the mob away from the carriage while Damon punched out the single guard and stole his keys. Stefan returned in time for Damon to unlock and open the back. The two then quickly lifted Elizabeth and pulled her out.

"What about Katherine?" Stefan asked, feeling guilty for leaving one Pierce sister.

"There's no time. You, yourself, said we had to hurry," Damon rushed to remove the muzzle from Elizabeth.

Stefan sighed, but immediately panicked when he heard the sounds of the mob getting closer. He urged Damon to hurry, making his brother move faster to undo the rope around Elizabeth's wrists.

Suddenly a shot rang out and Damon fell back. Stefan jumped up.

"No!" he cried, rushing to Damon's side.

He pressed his hands to the wound and Damon grunted, his face scrunching in pain. He exhaled once before Stefan saw the lights fade from his eyes.

"Damon," Stefan whispered sadly, holding his brother's face.

Damon Salvatore was dead.

The mob arrived back shortly after and Stefan felt nothing but anger flowing through him. His brother was dead. Because of a mob of paranoid killers.

"I think we got one!" one of them shouted, seeing Stefan by the carriage.

Stefan rose to his feet and snatched up the rifle off the guard Damon had knocked out. He pointed it toward the incoming mob, but before he could aim at any of them, another shot rang through the air and pierced through his skin.

He fell back, like Damon had, and wheezed, feeling his blood drain out faster than it ever had when Elizabeth drank from him.

Said woman lay across from him, gasping when he was shot. Her eyes filled with an emotion he couldn't decipher as she watched him die.

"Stefan," she whispered.

~~~~~

"Stefan," Sam whispered from beside him in the present.

~~~~~

"I'm sorry," Elizabeth said.

~~~~~

"You'll be okay," Sam assured him.

~~~~~

Stefan watched as the men reloaded Elizabeth back in to the carriage and drove away. Elizabeth looked back at him from the barred opening of the back door before disappearing within the darkness of the carriage.

It was the last thing Stefan Salvatore saw before he died.

~~~~~

Sam's POV