Fix You- Founder's Day

I let out a gasp when the strings of my dress were suddenly pulled tighter, placing a hand over the hardened area of my stomach thanks to the corset. Aunt Jenna let out a snicker.

"Sorry," she apologized. "But you gotta suck it in too, sweetheart."

"You don't think this corset will cause any lasting damage on my spleen or anything, do you?" I asked her with a small smile.

She laughed as she laced the strings together.

"Let's hope not," she said.

She sighed and placed her hands on my shoulder, looking at me through my mirror.

"All finished," she announced.

I looked at myself carefully. Because Caroline and Mrs. Lockwood insisted on having me up on the Miss Mystic Falls float along with a couple other girls who had signed up for next year's Miss Mystic Falls, I was in full 19th century costume. Caroline had chosen for me a pink dress with delicate white lace around the scooping neckline and off-shoulder sleeves and also along the bottom hem of the dress, draping up beneath large pink bows and coming back down before going up to the next bow.

My hair was curled, much like it was on the day of the Miss Mystic Falls pageant, and put up in side bun decorated with silver butterfly pins with two curls framing my face.

"Don't forget this," Elena said as she came in to my room, dressed up as well for the parade.

She held my locket up in between her fingers and I smiled as she came up behind me. She clasped it around my neck and smiled at me.

"Now you're ready," she announced.

"We both are," I said. "Let's get going. I wanna get out of this thing as soon as possible."

Elena and Aunt Jenna laughed.

~~~~~

Third POV

At the high school, where people were doing last minute float decorations and preparing for the Founder's Day parade, Stefan walked slowly through, avoiding the nagging Mrs. Lockwood best he could while he waited for Elena and Sam. He was soon joined by his brother, who walked up to Stefan and immediately commented about his retro wear.

"What are you doing here?" Stefan asked him.

"Why wouldn't I be here?" Damon returned. "Bonnie deactivated the Gilbert invention. Isobel's gone." He let out a victorious chuckle at that. "And it's Founder's Day. I'm here to eat cotton candy and hit on your girlfriend's little sister."

He playfully slapped Stefan's arm and wiggled his eyebrows at the last bit while Stefan deadpanned at him, not the least bit amused.

"Don't start with me, Damon," he said annoyed.

"Oh, you started it, Stefan, with that whole 'you'll hurt Sam because you're the big bad wolf and she's innocent little red, so leave her alone' speech," Damon mocked. "I'm just enjoying that."

"As long as you heard it," Stefan nodded.

"What?" Damon teased, cupping his ear as though he couldn't hear him. "Huh?"

Stefan just chuckled without humor, not wanting to entertain his brother today.

"You have no sense of humor. Sam would have laughed at that," Damon said, thinking about how he always managed to make her laugh.

"Actually, I have no sense of Damon humor," Stefan corrected before he began to step away from Damon.

"Damon humor," Damon repeated, pretending to take offense before he started to follow Stefan. "Hey- look, I get it. I get it. I'm irresistible and...me and you're scared now that Elizabeth is out of the picture that I'm going to turn all my focus on Sam."