The Words That Would Never Come

Joker trudged through the door in the very early hours of the day. He felt tired and defeated. He had not killed Batman, but he was very close. He had sliced him many times and he himself was injured. When he slammed the door Harley stirred a little and got up. "Heya Puddin'!" He just put his head down. Harley climbed off the bed and walked over to him. "Baby whats wrong?" No reply. He just pulled her into his cold, wet embrace. She gently moved the hair from his face, and caressed his cheeks and gently pulled his forehead to hers. He squeezed his eyes closed tight. "Lets go wash all that makeup off your face." She grabbed both of his hands and led him to the bathroom. She pushed him down on the toilet and put the water on hot and got the washrag wet, she rang it out and pressed it to his face. "OW!" he screamed as he struck her. Harley grabbed her cheek and bit her lip trying not to cry.

"I'm sorry Mistah J, i didn't think it would be that hot." He looked like he was torn in two, he felt horrible for hitting her (he didn't mean to, but he had anger issues), and the fact that she was apologizing when she was nothing but nice to him and he was the one who hit her, and the was she called him "Mistah J", he loved it, but sometimes it broke his heart.

"No, you didn't do anything." he hated to admit he was wrong, but mostly he hated to say he was sorry.

She sighed, "Ok, this may be hot, I'm sorry if it is." She gingerly pressed it to his face and wiped away his makeup. She wasn't allowed to touch his scars, that was what caused to most trouble, she would try to touch them and he would hit her. "I'm gonna get your mouth and scars now. Or would you like to..?"

"You." he said with a shaky breath. She gently got his scars with the warm water and when all the makeup was gone, she just stared at his face. "What? Ashamed of what you 'puddin' " he snared the name she called him, "really looks like?"

"No no no not at all! Its just-"

"That you cant stand the sight of me!"

"Absolutely not. Everyone has something unique about them, and i love your scars. They make you who you are. I love you. Everything, even your scars." She lightly kissed the side of his mouth, half her mouth hit his, half his scar.

"i want you to touch them."

She froze. "What?" she asked confused.

"Touch them." he closed his eyes.

To Harley, this was the most intimate thing he could ever say, besides the 3 word sentence that she was sure was not in his vocabulary. She placed her left hand under his chin and with her right she gently grased his scars with her finger tips. He shuttered slightly and placed his hands on her curvy hips. He guided her to the bed and he sat down and placed her in his lap facing him. They just held each other for a few moments. She stared into his amazing brown eyes, she noticed they had a little green in them. As he looked into her clear blue eyes, he saw nothing but innocence, happiness, and unconditional love, for him. She placed her head on his shoulder. He released a shaky breath he just realized he had been holding. "Harley, I love you."