Cape Cod, Massachusetts, 5 Years Ago III

Cape Cod, 5 Years Ago Part III

That next morning found the five at the table again. Santana woke up for the first time without crying. Katie and Trisha poured coffee for all of them. Santana picked up her up and drank the hot liquid, savoring the bitterness. For the longest time, no one said anything. The silence was broken by Santana's father, who cleared his throat out before he spoke.

"We would be happy to reimburse you for everything." It took a moment for Santana's brain to register what he had just said. Katie, Trisha and even Santana's mother blinked in surprise.

"Dad?" Santana whispered. He ran his hand through down his bearded chin. His eyes were dark, probably from tossing and turning all night thinking about the decision.

"We would pay you for tuition fees, book fees, room and board, anything expenses you can think of. And we would owe you more than we could ever pay. I cannot begin to describe the debt we'd owe you for this. And mija, I expect you to call at least once a week." Santana hung her head. Some small part of her felt slightly embarrassed by it all.

"Are you sure?" Katie asked.

"That's up to Santana." Her father replied. Everyone looked at Santana. She swallowed and nodded solemnly.

So that was that. Santana moved in with Katie and Trisha. Her parents left early in the morning and not a few days passed when a few boxes with Santana's belonging arrived at the front door. Santana quickly made herself as useful as possible, doing household chores when she had even a second. Trisha and Katie never really had the time to do so and had previously hired a maid. When Santana moved it, they found it no longer necessary and cancelled the service.

There was no getting past the initial awkwardness in the household. Trisha was still slightly unsettled by the brunette's presence but she made the effort to welcome her. Katie on the other hand accepted Santana fully into their home. She invited Santana to cook with her, to watch movies with the two of them and even invited her to some of the parties they held for friends. Santana politely participated in any activity that they suggested and she found herself enjoying their company.

One night, Katie knocked on her door just as Santana was getting ready for bed. The older woman sat down on her bed, her hand lightly holding something.

"I found these as I was developing some old film." Katie said. Santana didn't want to comment on how old fashioned it was to still be developing film but from the pictures on the walls, it seemed to be a hobby of the woman's.

"Really? What is it?" Santana sat down next to her, trying to catch a glance. Katie withdrew her hand.

"I was waiting for a time when you were ready. I'm not sure if you're ready for it." Katie replied and instantly Santana knew it was something to do with Brittany. Santana took a deep breath, prepared for whatever it was that the picture showed.

"I'll be okay." Santana replied. She instinctively touched the silver ring on her hand for comfort. She steadied herself as Katie showed her the photo.

It was a photo of the two of them sleeping and Santana remembered the moment.

"I took it because I thought you two were just the cutest things ever. I'm sorry if this..." Santana cut her off and took the photo out of her hands.

"No." She reassured her. "No, it's fine." The two of the looked at the photo for a short while before Santana felt her throat start closing up again.

"Um... Katie..." She whispered. "I just need some time."

"Of course." Katie stood up and walked out into the hallway, closing the door gently. Santana wept silently, wiping the tears as they came but pretty soon she was crying onto her arms. She held the photo against her chest and let the sobs overcome her body.