two

anderson

"oh my god, look how cute!" i exclaim, holding my phone out so emily can see the picture i just took of the puppies.

today, me and emily decided to bring the puppies out to the local dog park, to let them run around and play with the local neighborhood dogs.

"awww," she coos. "they're so cute."

"wait, did you ever figure out a name for yours?" i ask, curious. if she has, she hasn't told me yet.

"shew, no. i can't think of anything and it's annoying me." she groans.

"emily, you've had the puppy an entire week and still haven't thought of anything?!" i exclaim, widening my eyes at her. today literally makes one week since we've had the puppies, and here her puppy has gone this long without a name. how did i not notice this sooner?

"i can't help it if nothing i think of suits him, anderson!"

"didn't brandon help you?" i ask.

"no. i mean, he tried, but much like you he wanted to name it chunky or any other synonym for fat." she rolls her eyes.

"i think chunky suits him," i tell her, grinning in amusement as she glares at me. "okay, how about we google cute puppy names, yeah?" i unlock my phone and click on safari, typing in exactly what i said, cute puppy names. i scroll down, clicking on the one that says top one hundred boy puppy names.

"okay, here we go," i say, scanning over the list. "what about ace?"

"no, doesn't suit him."

"okay, what about baxter? or chance?"

"mmm, baxter is a maybe but no on chance," she says.

"cooper, frankie, jasper, milo, any of those?"

"i like cooper and jasper, but not frankie and milo."

i nod, continuing to scan over the list. "what about oscar, romeo, samson or tyson?"

"eh, no." she shakes her head.

"ooh, name him after that bulldog on garfield: tale of two kitties," i say, locking my phone since i didn't really like the other names on the list.

"and what's that bulldogs name?"

"winston."

"no, definitely not. he does not look like a winston," she says, shaking her head.

"okay, then pick between baxter, cooper, and jasper."

she mulls it over as she stares at the puppy, trying to figure out which name is best suiting for him. "i think cooper, what d'you think?"

"i like cooper," i agree, nodding. cooper is a cute name.

"okay, then it's settled. cooper it is."

××

"watch this, please. i need to pee," i say, placing my purse down beside emily before making my way inside the building. after the park me and emily went down to subway for a bite to eat, and luckily, they had tables outside, so we could eat here instead of taking it to go, like we thought we'd have to.

once i've done my business, i head back outside, only to find emily looking at my phone with furrowed eyebrows. "what's up?" i ask, confused as to why she's looking at my phone that way. our friendship has no secrets, so i know she didn't discover something that she didn't already know nor something i didn't want her to know.

"who's nate? and why does he want you to call him so urgently?" she asks, handing my phone over to me. with furrowed eyebrows, my eyes scan over the screen, reading the text.

[nate] can you call me? please, it's important