twenty-one

nate

pulling into the parking lot of anderson's apartment complex, i double check the address just to make sure before shutting my jeep off and climbing out. i grab natalia's carrier and her diaper bag before heading inside the building.

"i'm gonna need you to wish me luck, natalia," i mumble as we ride the elevator up to anderson's floor. "i've never really done dates and i need this date to go well." i let out a chuckle as i realize i probably look stupid talking to a baby. at least we're in an elevator alone.

the elevator doors open and i exit, searching for anderson's apartment number. i finally find it and knock on the door, it opening a few seconds later to reveal anderson. she's dressed in a simple pair of ripped jeans with a cute black tank top, her blonde hair straight. "you look cute," i tell her.

"thank you." she smiles, stepping back and letting me enter. i place natalia's carrier and diaper bag on the couch before turning back towards anderson, only to find her moving past me to get to natalia. "she's awake! she's hardly ever awake when i'm around," she excitedly says, unfastening natalia and gently picking her up. "are you sure the princess can't come with us?" she asks, looking back towards me.

"i don't quite think natalia will be able to do what we're gonna be doing," i tell her, quickly glancing down at my watch. "speaking of which, we should probably get going."

"okay, just let me go get emily," she says, heading down the hall. a few seconds later, her and emily both come back, but anderson is still holding natalia. "everything you'll need is in the diaper bag, i would assume."

"yeah, it is," i tell her, nodding. i can't help but to smile as anderson places a kiss on natalia's forehead and whispers something to her before passing her over to emily. "and thank you for agreeing to watch natalia. i really appreciate it," i tell emily.

"it's no problem at all. any time you need a babysitter so you and anderson can go out, you let me know," emily tells me and i nod, flashing her an appreciative smile. "now go, enjoy your date," she adds, using her foot to push anderson towards me.

anderson shoots her a glare and i chuckle, pulling open the front door as anderson grabs her phone and purse. "i'll try to have her back before tomorrow," i joke, and anderson rolls her eyes playfully.

"alright let's go," anderson says, motioning for me to exit the apartment. "we'll be back, take care of my princess," she adds, blowing a kiss towards emily. she shuts the door and we head down the hall towards the elevator.

"will you tell me where you're taking me now?" anderson tries as we stand in the quiet elevator.

"nope," i grin. "you gotta wait and see."

××

"a roller rink?" anderson questions as we step out of my jeep.

"you ever been rollerskating?" i ask her as we head towards the building.

"no, i'm way too clumsy," she lightly laughs.

"well, i'll make sure to have my phone ready then," i joke and she gasps, playfully smacking my arm.

we enter the building and we get our size skates before sitting down and putting them on. i stand with ease but anderson remains seated, causing me to laugh. "c'mon, i won't let you fall," i say, holding my hands out for her.

"promise?" she asks, glancing between my face and hands skeptically.

"i promise." she places her hands in mine and i help her up. she immediately loses her balance though, wrapping her arms around me instead.

"i'm gonna bust my ass before the night's over," she says, taking a deep breath before leaning back and placing her hands in mine once again.

"hey, at least it'll be a first date to remember," i joke and she playfully glares at me. "now c'mon." i skate backwards, pulling her with me.

"oh god," she says, attempting to copy me by moving her feet. soon enough she gets the hang of it and i let go of her hands, quickly moving out of the way. "nate!" she exclaims, losing her balance once again. i skate over and grab her hands, stabilizing her. "don't do that again."

"no promises." i grin.

××

"my ass is so sore," anderson groans as we walk down the hall of her apartment complex, our fingers intertwined between us. "how much you wanna bet that it'll bruise?"

i let out a laugh, wrapping my arm around her shoulders but keeping my fingers intertwined with hers so her arm is draped across her chest. anderson had probably fell a good ten times throughout the night before she finally gave up.

"i had fun, though," she then says. "the bruise will definitely be worth it."

"so you did enjoy yourself? this wasn't a complete fail?" i ask as we finally reach her apartment, removing my arm from around her shoulders but still keeping our fingers intertwined.

"it wasn't a fail at all. i had lots of fun," she tells me, turning so she's facing me with her back facing the door.

"so you'd like to go on a second date with me?"

"of course, as long as it's not rollerskating again. i don't think my butt could take much more," she laughs and i grin in amusement. i go to say something else, but am stopped by the sound of a baby crying through the door. anderson turns and enters the apartment without another word, and we're met by emily holding a crying natalia.

"did you know your baby cries a lot?" emily asks, relieved to see us. i let out a chuckle and nod just as anderson heads over to her, tossing her purse on the couch before taking natalia from emily's arms.

"aw, don't cry princess," anderson coos, rocking natalia in her arms. it's not long before natalia hushes, falling asleep. "now was that so hard?" she asks, raising an eyebrow at emily.

"she doesn't like me, i swear," emily says in defense. "i thought babies liked everybody but not that baby. she's had a hatred for me ever since she entered this apartment."

"she doesn't hate you, you're just retarded," anderson says. "she's only cried once while i was holding her."

"yeah, that's because she likes you!" emily quietly exclaims, and i grin in amusement. yeah, me and natalia both.