eight

anderson

"i think fat maddie hates me," i murmur, looking down at the puppy curled up at my feet.

"i would too if you named me something like fat maddie," emily says, and i roll my eyes.

"oh, would you get over that already? it's literally been almost five weeks now!"

"i'll never leave you alone about it," she tells me, flashing me her best evil grin. i shake my head, glancing down at fat maddie once more before looking back up at the tv screen. tonight is mine and emily's annual scary movie night, and we're currently watching hush, which is actually a really good movie.

"emily, pass me those," i say, pointing over at the box of mini slim jims. she glances away from the tv long enough to see what i'm talking about before immediately looking back as she grabs the box off the table and tosses it over into my lap.

just as i open the box my phone begins ringing, causing emily to jump and then glare at me as i laugh at her. still grinning in amusement, i reach down and grab my phone, pressing the answer button as i see that it's nate's name on the screen.

"how're you?" is the first thing nate asks after i say hello.

"i'm good, and you?" i ask, holding the phone between my ear and shoulder as i grab a slim jim out of the box and tear it open.

"i'm good, and surprisingly, this time i actually couldn't be better," he says.

"that's great," i smile. "what's got you in such a good mood?" emily glares at me and i stick my tongue out at her before grabbing my box of slim jims and exiting the living room.

"i don't know, i'm just in a good mood," he says, letting out a short chuckle.

"well, at least you're in a good mood."

"yeah," he agrees. "i actually had a few things i wanted to ask you. about the pregnancy, y'know."

"shoot," i tell him, taking a seat on my bed and crossing my legs.

"okay, so when will we be able to tell the gender?"

"fourth month, after week thirteen," i tell him. "and that's only if the baby is in the right position. if the baby's in the wrong position, you won't be able to see its genitals."

"really? god, jessica's only in her second month. week six or seven, i think. i don't know, i quit counting, to be honest," he chuckles.

"it'll pass by quick," i tell him. "what do you want? a boy or girl?"

"i don't know. i kinda want a girl, but since there won't be a mom figure in the picture, it's probably best if it's a boy," he says, and i grin. he acts like he doesn't know if he'll keep the baby or not, but i have a feeling he will. he talks about it with so much excitement, and when the baby's born, he won't be able to give it away. there's no way.

"if it is a girl, i'm sure your mom could give you tips and help out."

"her or my sister."

"oh, you have a sister?"

"yeah, an older sister. her name's kaylan," he tells me.

"cute name. i have a younger sister, her name's carrington."

"did your parents have a thing with last names for first names or something?" he asks.

"my mom and stepdad, which is carrington's dad, did, and still do actually. my dad was never in the picture," i tell him, tearing open another slim jim.

"oh, i'm sorry."

"don't be," i tell him. "i met him two years ago and he was just a drunk and a druggie, so it was my decision to not have anything to do with him." i shrug, although i know nate can't see me. "what about you? parents still together? got any younger siblings?"

"my parents are still together, and yeah, i have a younger brother, stew," he tells me.

"oh, yeah? how old is he?"

"eighteen, i think. i'm not one hundred percent sure," he chuckles.

"oh, carrington's seventeen, soon to be eighteen."

"is that the only other sibling you got?" he asks.

"yeah, after carrington my mom didn't want no more. said two was more than enough," i say. "which i agree, if i ever have kids i don't want anymore than two."

"what do you want, though? like, two girls, two boys, one girl and one boy, what?"

"i want a girl and a boy," i tell him. "i think it'd be nice to have one of each, instead of two of the same. even it out, y'know."

"i agree," nate says. "that's what i want too. of course i don't want the second one anytime soon, but later in life, once this baby is about two or three. actually, maybe about ten," he laughs.

"yeah, i'd at least wait a couple years."

"yeah, it'll definitely be a couple years because for one, i don't want a second baby anytime soon, and for two, i want my second baby to be by the girl i plan to marry. i don't want both my kids to be accidents, y'know," he says. "even if those accidents were the best things to ever happen to me, it still kinda makes me look bad."

"it doesn't make you look bad, just irresponsible," i say.

"well, that's no better," he chuckles. "especially when you're kinda well known and have people judging your mistakes instead of the music you make."

"yeah, i'd never make it being famous," i breathily laugh.

"you can't let hate get to you when you're famous, that's for sure."

"and that's exactly why i'd never make it. i'm way too tender hearted," i tell him.

"i was growing up, but then i just stopped caring," nate says, and i picture him shrugging. "stopped caring to a certain extent, that is. i mean, i'm not some heartless bastard."

"that's obvious," i say. "if you were heartless you wouldn't have been worried about jessica and the baby when you found out she was pregnant."