eighteen

anderson

"he really likes you, y'know," jessica tells me. as promised, i came back to the hospital, only to find nate sleeping on the couch in the room. "i'd even go as far as saying he loves you." that sentence causes me to look over at her, wondering if i heard her right. "i know what you're thinking, y'all literally just met in person yesterday, he can't love you, but i'm telling you, that boy has fell for you. i seen him every single week for almost ten months, and literally every single time since he met you, he has talked about you. sometimes i feel like even i know more about you than you." nate's talked about me?

i glance back over at nate, and he's still fast asleep on the couch. "i know this is a lot to take in and that i'm literally just some sixteen-year-old stranger, but i'm telling you the truth. and i hope that you give him a chance, because if there's one thing i've learnt about him, it's that he's the most caring and loving man i've ever met. plus, that baby will need a mother. i'm not fit to be a mother, anderson, but you, i think you'll be the best mother that baby could ever ask for, if you're willing to give nate a chance and are willing to play the role," jessica says, and before i can reply, nate stirs, gaining our attention.

"morning, sleepy head." i grin, watching as he shakes his head, despite the smile forming on his lips.

××

"why didn't you wake me?" nate asks as we head down towards the cafeteria for breakfast.

"i was talking to jessica, and i figured you were tired."

"oh, yeah? what'd jessica say?" he asks, allowing me to exit the elevator before him.

i shrug. "nothing really, she was just saying how she's not fit to be a mother," i tell him, leaving out the important things that we talked about. "but hey, you get to take natalia home tomorrow," i change the subject, smiling over at him.

"i know," he says, smiling back at me. "i'm excited but also kinda worried."

"and why's that?" i ask.

"because it'll just be me. i mean, my mom and sister will be here tonight and tomorrow, but then after that they have to go back to omaha. i'm just worried i'll mess something up, i guess," he shrugs. entering the cafeteria, we both get a couple cinnamon rolls before taking a seat at one of the tables.

"i'm sure you'll do fine," i tell him. "plus, i'm only fifty minutes away."

"you say that like fifty minutes is a short amount of time," he chuckles.

"i'd move to l.a. but emily wouldn't. her boyfriend lives in anaheim," i say, shrugging.

"why d'you have to live with emily?"

"i don't like living alone, remember?"

"oh yeah, that's right," he says, nodding. "i forgot."

"wanna know what's funny?" i ask, and he raises his eyebrows questioningly. "it's been nearly nine months since you accidentally called me."

"wow, really?"

"yep," i nod.

"best accident ever," he chuckles and i join in, agreeing with him. it really was the best accident ever.

××

"hey andy, wait a second!" nate calls out. i stop and turn on my heels, watching as nate jogs towards me. emily sent me a text, telling me to get ready, so i figured it was probably best if i left the hospital now. i didn't get no further than a little ways from the exit when nate called out, though.

"i know this might be a little weird, especially since we just met in person yesterday, but i was just wondering if you'd like to hang out sometime this week? like after i take natalia home and my family goes back to omaha, y'know," he says.

"like a date?" i decide to tease, just to see if jessica was right about nate's feelings. he's cheeks flush a light pink color, causing me to smile widely.

"yeah, like a date." he nods.

"i'd love to."