5|| Nico

As they drew near the castle, Nico could sense hundreds of restless spirits. Each step he took, the feeling grew stronger, buzzing around him like ten million angry, whiny, attention-deprived bees.

"In here," said the lady crisply, herding them like sheep.

Then it was like the bees all flew at Nico at once. A large wave of ghosts emerged from the wall casually and in such form and order that he suspected this was a routine they did every year for the incoming students just as a little surprise.

"Forgive and forget, I say!" One of the ghosts snapped at the others.

"Yes, yes, forgive and forget," repeated Nico loudly and enthusiastically, shooting them a thumbs up and a glare.

The other kids looked at Nico like he was crazy but the ghosts looked at him with horror.

He gave them a creepy smile in response, one that he learned long ago that said: watch your back. I will find you

It was the stupid blessed mortals. They managed to escape the Underworld and seek safety in places Zeus knows where. Apparently, they were welcomed in The Castle of Bacon-Acne or whatever this place was called. Every ghost in the castle was a drachma off Thanatos's paycheck. And guess who both Thanatos and Hades complained about that to? That's right; it was ya ghosty boi Nico.

If they weren't staring at him before, they were now. One ghost in the back began to very slowly float away, like he was trying to go unnoticed. Nico met his transparent eyes, and the ghost froze.

Hermione leaned towards Nico, her mouth already forming a question, but Nico was saved by the tight-bun lady.

"Out, out!" she said sternly. Then she turned to the students and explained something, but Nico missed it due to his glaring contest with one last ghost (Nico won, the ghost left crossly). Clearly, the parasitic relationship was mutual.

They were shooed into an enormous room. Floating candles hovered above four long tables, swamped with other students. The tables glittered with gold and color, and the ceiling appeared nonexistent. It seemed the walls opened up to Olympus itself.

Nico stepped back on instinct. He bumped into a few other students pressing eagerly ahead, but it was worth it to avoid a giant lightning bolt shooting down and zapping him and Percy.

"Isn't the ceiling gorgeous?" Hermione whispered to Percy.

"Won't it be annoying when it rains?" asked Percy uncertainly.

"It's bewitched."

That was reassuring. No lightning would strike them now. Hopefully.

They stood in restless anticipation as something was placed in the front. As an eleven year old, he couldn't see very well. He was stunted, even for a child. Suddenly, a bizarre noise came from the front, making him jump. Mixed with the tune was even more bizarre words. It sounded like... music? Was this the elevator waiting music of Britain?

"Slythering, Raven's claw, Huffing Puffs, and Griffin Doors," he repeated. "Okay, sure."

Annabeth whispered to Nico, "There are four houses to be sorted into. Gryffindoom the brave, Ravenclaw the wise, Puff the loyal, and Slythering the cunning."

"So, Ravenclaw the Annabeth, Puff the Percy, Slythering the Nico, and Gryffindoom the me?" said Thalia.

This is stupid, thought Nico. He would much prefer a prophecy deciding his fate, not a hat.

The lady cleared her throat and the chatter silenced. Then her voice rang out, "ABBOTT, HANNAH!" Then Abbott, Hannah was sorted into Hufflepuff, and— "CHASE, ANNABETH!"

>>>•Annabeth•<<<

Annabeth wove her way through the crowd and sat on the stool like Abbott, Hannah.

Ah. . . It has been a while since a demigod has graced my depths, the hat murmured in her head.

Please never say that again, it's so weird.

You right, you right, Mini-erva. Now excuse me while I take a little looksy at your memories.

Athena, actually. Wait, wh—

Then her life flashed before her eyes.

Every minute.

Every single minute.

Then it was over.

OH MY GOODNESS, TARTARUS? shrieked the hat. Oh, no, no, no one should have to go through that. My goodness, that's a lot of death. At least you've got Percy now, too bad they interrupted your first snog. You know what— I'll stop now. Let's see... Ravenclaw or Gryffindor? Ravenclaw or Gryffindor?

There was a pause, then the hat shouted, "GRYFFINDOR!"

Did you just do Eeny Meeny Miney Moe for my house? Annabeth demanded, but then the hat was lifted off her head and if the hat answered then it was drowned out by the roaring that rang around the hall.

>>>•Nico•<<<

Annabeth hopped down from the stool as the table on the left burst into applause. For a moment, she glanced at them and he saw utter confusion on her face, then she was turning around and sliding into a seat.

Daniels, Megan became a Ravenclaw, and then, "DI ANGELO, NICO!"

The last thing Nico saw before he put on the hat was a sea of expectant faces.

Hm... Another one. A Plu-kiddo I see.

Hades, Nico corrected automatically.

Potato patato. The girl had wisdom and would have done well in Ravenclaw, who are we to argue with fate? Let me see...

Suddenly Nico had a flashback of his entire life, starting from the Lotus Casino until faces all blurred together in a shapeless blob.

Ah. The hat sounded sad, if a hat could feel sad. You had a rough life, Hades-kid. I feel your pain.

How? Nico snarled in his head. You're a hat. You can't feel anything but lice, oil, and dandruff.

The hat continued as if it didn't hear a thing. Your sisters love you a lot, it went on. You also went through Tartarus? Hm, let's see... You seem like a GRYFFINDOR!