9|| Harry

Harry's mind was buzzing with questions the entire sprint back to the common room.

As soon as they collapsed by the fire, Hermione wheeled on them.

"You idiots. We almost got killed! Or worse, expelled." Hermione glared at them all.

Ron gaped at her. "Oh I'm sorry, did we drag you along?" He muttered.

"That dog is seriously overweight," Thalia commented.

"Did you see what it was standing on?" Annabeth asked the others.

"The floor?" Harry and Percy said at the same time.

"No, a trap door. It's clearly guarding something." Hermione responded tartly.

"Nico, you're the expert in three headed dogs. D'you know anything?" Percy asked.

Nico was in silently watching the flames. "No, but it just disturbed me. Why would Hogwarts keep a three-headed hellhound in a too small corridor? That's just animal cruelty."

A three-headed Hellhound. That's what it was called? "Nico, how did you do that with it?"

Nico looked away from the fire. Percy could see he was thinking rapidly. "My— my dad wanted me to be ready for anything. He taught me how to understand certain animals and other things," he muttered vaguely.

"Well we'd just love to explain more, but it's late and we should sleep. Good night everyone." Thalia cut Nico off shortly and pulled the other two girls up to the dormitory. The boys shrugged and followed their lead. Harry wasn't about to forget what Nico did, though. There was clearly more to that boy than met the eye.

>>>•Annabeth•<<<

Annabeth felt a bit guilty lying to the wizards. Though technically didn't actually lie— it was more like adjusting the truth. Like turning up moral thermostat. The room might've been cold in the first place, but it was much more comfortable and convenient when heated.

A few days after the late night adventure, Harry got a broomstick— a Nimbus 2000. From the energy Ron had hyped up when he saw it, Annabeth concluded it was like having an exclusive model of a car given for free. That epiphany suddenly made the broom seem worth a lot more.

Harry's failed wizard-duel and his newfound toy weren't the only exciting things about October. Halloween was coming up and Hogwarts was buzzing with excitement. Annabeth had never been too enthusiastic about Halloween, or any other holiday for that matter, but evidently Hogwarts holidays were even more magical than normal.

But before Halloween came, there were still classes to go through.

Percy was exceptionally good at potions — the most logical explanation was because it was a liquid and therefore he had a special connection or something. The way he controlled the poison in Tartarus made it clear it was not just water he could control.

Nico was somewhat good at potions also, but was astounding at History of Magic. (Probably because the teacher was a ghost and therefore under Nico's influence. Annabeth doubted Nico actually knew a thing).

Transfiguration seemed to be Thalia's best subject, which wasn't saying much as she was mildly awful at everything else.

But Hermione still held first in every subject, bar potions. Charms she excelled at more so than other subjects, possibly because she was seen in comparison to everyone else who sucked terribly. The morning of Halloween, they began to levitate objects. Harry was with Percy and Nico, Ron with Thalia (who didn't look too happy), and Annabeth with Hermione.