10|| Harry

We were lucky the spells combined were powerful enough to get rid of the troll, thought Harry.

But something wasn't right. He couldn't recall clearly what happened when he tried to think back on the moment. But there were no worries; as long as it was gone, they were fine. Something was nagging Harry in the back of his mind, but he ignored it.

He couldn't afford to get distracted. The first quidditch match was tomorrow and he needed to calm his nerves. Percy and Nico were no help, they seemed to freak out about flying almost as much as Neville.

Hermione lent him Quidditch Through the Ages, which was, surprisingly, pretty interesting. The seven were outside, huddled around a blazing fire that radiated but was cool to the touch, conjured up by Hermione. It was perfect for carrying around in a jar, which they did. Flipping through Quidditch Through the Ages, Harry saw Snape out of the corner of his eye.

"Blimey, I think I see a moldy beanstalk," said Ron.

Whether or not he heard Ron's jab, they didn't know, but suddenly Snape had taken the library book out of Harry's hands along with five points from Gryffindor.

Sullenly, they trudged back to the common room, but Harry was in a panic.

"I'm going to get my book back," he said.

"I'll come with you," Ron volunteered immediately, shooting a glance at Thalia. When no one else volunteered (as they were all defrosting by the large Gryffindor fire), they headed to the staffroom. The door was open a crack and they peered through.

A horrible scene met their eyes. Snape and Filch were there, alone. Snape's leg which he was limping on was bloody and mutilated. Filch was bandaging it and didn't seem jarred in the slightest.

"Blasted thing, how are you supposed to keep your eyes on all three heads at once?" Snape growled and winced as Filched tightened the bandages.

Ron gasped, inhaled a lock of Harry's hair, and coughed violently, making Snape's head jerk towards them.

"POTTER! WEASLEY!" Snape's face twisted with fury and the two boys bolted down the hallway. They jumped through the portrait hole, out of breath. Harry made a mental note to work on his lung strength.

"Did you get it?" Percy asked.

"No, but I need to tell you guys something."

Harry made his way over to where Nico and Annabeth were teaching Hermione a game called Mythomagic. He told them everything.

"Don't you see? Snape tried to get past the hellhound! He's probably trying to get to what it's hiding! I bet he also let in that troll to distract everyone! That would explain why he was so grumpy when you guys exploded it!" Harry said breathily and began to pace around them.

"I don't know," Hermione spoke up by the scattered figurines. "Snape's a Hogwarts teacher; I don't think he would try to steal something Dumbledore's keeping safe."

"There are so many things wrong with that statement," said Percy, then he frowned as he thought. "No, wait, just one. Because he totally would steal something Dumbledore's keeping safe."

"Like shampoo," sniggered Thalia. "That stuff must be gold to him."

"Don't worry too much mate, you need to focus for tomorrow," Ron said cheerfully.

>>>•O•<<<

Harry stared at his scrambled eggs and ketchup, wondering if that was what he would look like after the game. One big mess. No matter how much his friends pressed, his appetite just wasn't there.

Nico frowned at Harry. "You'll do better once you've eaten. It's good for you and you're stronger. Important for battle. You know," he added hastily when Thalia shot him a look. "In case you get in a fist fight or something."

"Smooth," Harry heard Percy mutter.

>>>•O•<<<

After Wood's prep talk (which the Weasley twins seemed to know by heart), they were out on the fields with their broomsticks.

Lee Jordan's commentary seemed a quiet whisper in the distance. Harry kept his eyes open for any flash of gold. A bludger sailed under his broom and nearly knocked off a Slytherin chaser. Fred was waiting for it on the other side and sent the bludger neatly to the Slytherin with the Quaffle, making him drop it. As he floated near the stands, Harry saw Thalia darting her eyes somewhere, her hand twitching.

Something zipped by, nearly taking his eye off.

The snitch!

Harry speed after it, his hand stretched out.

Suddenly his broom stopped. It jerked around dangerously, then flipped him upside down. Wildly, Harry flailed around, trying to get back on his broom.

No hope.

Fred and George tried to help him, then circled below when they realized the broom would just get higher when someone came near him.

Was it Thalia?

Something whizzed by his head just as the broom jerked again. Then it flew at top speed mouth. Just then, the broom stopped moving and Harry clambered on. He coughed up the thing he caught in his mouth and saw a familiar glint of gold.

"I CAUGHT THE SNITCH!" He yelled, holding it high in his fist.

The Slytherin keeper complained loudly while all the Gryffindors crowded around Harry. Ron, Hermione, Percy, Annabeth, Thalia, and Nico herded him to Hagrid's little hut where they talked about what happened.

"It was Snape. I saw him, he was muttering under his breath or something. Nonstop and not breaking eye contact. Luckily, I managed to stop him before he killed you," Hermione said with an air of pride, half glancing at Percy with a blush on her cheeks.

"Are you sure? Because, I thought it was... uh... I kind of thought it was Thalia, because I saw her flicking her hand earlier. I thought she had her wand hidden." Harry didn't meet Thalia's eyes.

Thalia's eyes narrowed. "And why would I do that?" she demanded. "Why would I try to sabotage our own team? Even if I was, I'm your friends I wouldn't intentionally try to hurt you. Do you hear the logic of your own statement?"

"Yeah, no. It was definitely Snape. Hermione stopped him," Nico conformed.

"Knocking Quirrell into the stairs on the way," she Annabeth teased. Hermione turned red.

"I was saving Harry's life, thank you very much!"

"Snape wouldn'. He's a Hogwarts teacher. Why would he try to kill 'arry?" Hagrid poured more tea and sat down. The chair creaked dangerously under him.

The seven looked at each other. "I found him in the staff room talking to Filch. He — he was trying to get past the three headed dog at Halloween. It bit him. We think he's trying to steal whatever it's guarding," Harry explained.

Hagrid dropped the teapot. "How'd a know abou' Fluffy?"

"Fluffy?" Nico looked outraged. Not surprising, seeing as he thought keeping it in a hallway was animal abuse. He must think Hagrid was downright murdering it.

"Yea, Fluffy. I bought him from a Greek chappie I met in the pub las' year. I gave him to Dumbledore to guard the —"

"Yes?" Harry interrupted eagerly.

"I've said enough. It's top secret, that," Hagrid replied stubbornly.

Annabeth threw her hands up in exasperation. "You should've let him finish!" she whispered fiercely.

"Is something so top-secret worth Harry's life?" Ron demanded.

"I don' know why Harry's broom acted like that, but Snape wouldn' try an' kill a student! Now, listen to me, all seven of yeh- yer meddlin in things that don' concern yeh. You forget the dog and forget what it's guardin', that's between Professor Dumbledore an' Nicolas Flamel, an'—"

"Aha!" Harry interrupted him again. "So there's someone named Nicolas Flamel involved, is there?"

Hagrid looked furious with himself.