7|| Harry

Those American students were intimidating. Not only were they buff, Annabeth seemed like she knew as much stuff as Dumbledore. That was crazy. She was eleven for goodness sake.

But Harry didn't have much time to think about it before he was fast asleep in the boys dorms.

The next few days were so confusing he felt like he was in a maze which was really the best way to describe Hogwarts. The ever-changing staircases and the doors that refused to open unless tickled in a specific spot on Thursdays were enough to make anyone snap. Harry wondered how Dumbledore survived in this place for so long without going insane. Then he remembered the mad twinkle in the professor's eye. Maybe he hadn't stayed completely sane.

"I give up!" Percy threw up his hands as he fell yet again into a gap in the staircase. Hermione and Annabeth sighed and pulled him up. Harry grimaced and looked around. They were in the middle of a castle located who knows where. It had only been about one day and Harry was already frustrated with getting lost. The air was so thick with magic sometimes Ron's hair took a shiny purple glint to it.

"That's not flattering," Nico said, and for a split second Harry thought Nico knew he was thinking about Ron's hair. But Nico gestured to one of the paintings with a group of kids laughing and mimicking Percy falling through the staircase.

Percy glared at the kids and the seven continued to make their way to Potions.

As they turned a corner, Harry noticed the wisp of a ghost disappear through the wall. All the ghosts have been like that whenever Nico is around. Harry wasn't sure if it was normal that the ghosts weren't around them often, but he chose to ignore it. He didn't blame them, Nico was creepy. With his frame that showed every bone, deathly pale skin, and shaggy black hair, he looked like a zombie. But then shouldn't they be best buddies, because they were all sort of undead?

The only good thing was, Nico could control Peeves. According to the twins, Peeves stopped being as inappropriate and annoying. The only ghost that was brave enough to stay when Nico was with them was Nearly Headless Nick. And even sometimes he would avoid them altogether.

"This way!" Nick floated through a wall and pointed left. They thanked him (Nico with a glare) and they quickly found themselves at Snape's class.

Ron hurried to hold the door open for them, his eyes lingering on Thalia as she walked through. Thalia noticed Ron's stare and raised her eyebrows challengingly, making Ron wither back.

"He better not," Thalia whispered to Annabeth who chuckled and cast a sympathetic glance at Ron.

"He reminds me of Leo," Annabeth muttered back. Thalia nodded vigorously.

Harry walked through the door to an instant chill. They all sat down, and Harry looked around whilst scooting closer to the tables for warmth. What were those pickled things in those jars against the windows?

No one spoke as Snape swept to the front of the room, casting his eyes around at their faces. He met Harry's eyes and pure hatred ran through his expression as his lip curled into a sneer. Percy looked at Harry, baffled, but Harry shrugged helplessly. What had he done to incur Snape's hatred so strongly?

Snape took role call and stopped at Harry's name. "Ah, yes. Harry Potter. Our new— celebrity," he drawled softly. Draco chuckled. The rest of the class was completely silent.

"Potter!" Snape barked suddenly. "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?"

Harry froze. What? Ron and Percy looked as confused as he was. Annabeth was looking in disapproval at the animals in the jars. Nico rolled his eyes and picked at a long scar along his bicep. Thalia sharpened the knife she used to cut the ingredients for the potions.

Hermione's hand shot up in the air.

"I don't know, sir," Harry replied.

Snape ignored Hermione and tutted. "Let's try again, shall we? Where would you look if I told you to find me a bezoar?"

Annabeth's hand joined Hermione's, but Harry was as stumped as before. "I don't know, sir." He turned away from the image of Draco's shaking silent laughter.

Snape ignored the straining hands in the air. "Last chance. What is the difference between monkshood and wolfsbane?"

Hermione stood up with a small glance at Percy, who looked bored. Annabeth fidgeted in her seat, but remained sitting, her hand almost as high as Hermione's.

Harry looked Snape in the eyes and said, "I don't know, but Hermione and Annabeth seem to. Why don't you ask them?"

Snape glared at the girls. "Sit down. Two points from Gryffindor for your inability to restrain yourselves, and two points for your attitude, Potter. For your information..."

Potions did not get better.

When they began to actually make the potion, Neville melted Seamus' cauldron into a glob of goo, their potion snaking towards everyone. It hissed whenever it came in contact with anything, and Neville was covered in angry red boils.

"Take him to the hospital wing," Snape snapped. Then he turned to Harry. "Potter! Why didn't you tell him not to add the quills? That's another point lost for Gryffindor."

Harry, Ron, and Percy glared at Snape. Percy's hand was twitching towards his pocket. Annabeth slapped it.

Despite Snape's biasness towards Slytherin, Percy appeared ten times better than Malfoy. He seemed to know exactly how much of each ingredient to put, how long to stir it, and how to pretty much make a perfect potion.

With the exception of Percy, they left potions in low spirits.