13|| Percy

Nico reacted extremely strangely to the sweater of despair, or whatever he called it. Percy wondered briefly about it, but figured Nico would tell them when he was ready. He didn't want to push the Son of Hades.

Percy was drawn back to the present when the food appeared on the table. Turkey, potatoes, chipolatas, peas, gravy and cranberry sauce, and wizard crackers all along the table. He pulled a wizard cracker with Annabeth and it exploded with a puff of green smoke, releasing several brightly colored parrots into the air. The parrots disappeared after a few minutes, probably to get outside.

What a lovely surprise they'll get, Percy thought dryly. Tropical birds finding themselves in the middle of a snowfall.

After the meal was over dessert came, much to Percy and Ron's delight. There were custards and sweet breads, although they were just called pudding. Percy (Weasley) almost broke his teeth biting into a silver sickle.

"Merry Christmas Seaweed Brain," Annabeth muttered sleepily, as they headed back to the common room.

"Merry Christmas Wise Girl," Percy said back. "I got you something, but I didn't know how to get it to you."

"I got you something to-oooo" Annabeth yawned as they reached the painting hole. "I'll go get it."

Percy sat in the couch closest to the fireplace. The fire was roaring, but the air was still chilly around it. Percy leaned in closer.

"Here." Annabeth dropped a package in Percy's lap.

"You too." Percy handed her his package. Then he tore open the blue wrapping paper on his. Percy smiled as he pulled out a blue cap which had a little brain made of seaweed sewn on it. Above the brain were the words Seaweed Brain. He put it on and vanished from sight.

"It's from Athena. She gave it to me before we left," Annabeth explained beaming. Percy re-appeared and grinned broadly. "Thanks, Annabeth! Thank you too, lady Athena!"

Annabeth unwrapped the square package Percy handed to her and beamed. "Thanks, Perce! I really wanted one of these since that chess match with Ron!" She opened the new set of wizard chess and admired the pieces. The pawns looked at her curiously.

"Love you, Wise Girl. Now let's get to bed." Percy kissed her forehead and pulled her up.

"Wait." Annabeth froze, then whipped out her cap and put it on. Percy did the same (feeling a small thrill as he saw his body vanish), just in time, because Harry emerged from the room, holding his cloak. He looked around the room and put it on, the air rippling where he vanished.

The painting swung open. Percy and Annabeth slipped out before it could close again, and followed the sound of his footsteps.

Soon, they reached the library. Percy groaned.

"If we had to sneak out somewhere, why did it have to be the library?" He complained quietly. Annabeth shushed him and they quietly slipped through the shelves. A lantern floated to the restricted section. They decided to wait outside, when they heard a bloodcurdling scream.

"Harry!" Percy whispered without thinking. He moved to enter, but Annabeth stopped him.

"That's not Harry screaming, but he's going to leave soon." Sure enough, the sound of his footsteps burst out and ran for the exit. Filch stood there, but he must've ducked under because his steps faded.