16|| Percy

They met in the entrance hall (minus Ron) for their detention. Unfortunately, Malfoy was already there, as well as Filch. They both sneered simultaneously when they saw them. What a legend Malfoy was living up to.

They followed Filch in silence as he led them across the grounds. Malfoy's hair gleamed silver and his face grew even paler, giving him a ghost-like complexion. If only Nico could control him as well and send him straight back to his 'Father'.

"Is tha' yeh, Filch? Hurry up, I want ter get started." A big shaggy head peered out from the door, at them, frowning at the caretaker.

Percy's heart leapt, excited to do work with the gamemaker. From the looks of it, the other five were thinking the same thing. Filch growled at them.

"Excited to work with that oaf? Think again. It's the forest you're going in, not playtime," Filch snarled.

Malfoy froze. "The forest?" Percy sniggered at his extremely high voice. "But there are werewolves in there!"

"Aww. . . is wittle Mawfoy scawed?" Thalia asked, sticking her bottom lip out in a pouty face.

Malfoy scowled at the huntress. Not that his glare had anything on Annabeth's.

>>>•O•<<<

"Do you see that silvery stuff there? Unicorn blood. We need to find the injured thing, try to put it out of its misery without killing it." Hagrid spoke to them all seriously, his voice low. "Let's see— seven of you? Let's split up into two groups. One with me, one with Fang here."

Malfoy instantly went to Fang's group. Harry and Hermione stuck with Hagrid.

"Hagrid, can we four go as a group?" Annabeth asked, giving Hagrid a pointed look. "You know, in case of a monster attack," she added in a whisper. After they had cleared up the whole Hagrid-isn't-an-evil-giant thing, Hagrid revealed that he was in fact aware of their bloodline.

Hagrid reluctantly agreed. "Then me an' Fang will go with 'arry, Hermione, and Malfoy. If you find anything, shoot up green sparks. If one o' you gets hurt, shoot up red."

They parted their ways and vanished into the forest.

After walking about two feet, Thalia stopped and spread her arms to block them from moving forward.

"Did you hear that?" She asked suddenly. The demigods were instantly quiet, even though none of them had been speaking before. But the only thing they could hear was the soft howl of the wind above the treetops.

Despite the lack of suspicion, Percy uncapped Riptide, anxious for the monster to show itself. No one doubted Thalia's instincts, and not a moment later, a huge shadow leered over them, coming from behind.

A hellhound jumped out and landed on the back of Annabeth. Before it could bite her shoulder, Percy swung Riptide and it vaporized into monster dust.

"Thanks, Seaweed Brain, but I could've handled it." Annabeth stood up and brushed the dry yellow powder off of her.

"I'm sure you could've," A new voice came. A centaur walked out of the shadows. His skin was dark and the horse's body was black. An ebony tail swished behind him. He cocked his head. "Demigods. What are you doing? The forest is not safe, especially at a time like this."

Nico scoffed. "Please. We've handled Kronos and Gaea, I'm pretty sure we could handle whatever you're talking about."

The centaur paced nervously. "Child of Hades, you of all people should know who I speak about. Once a whole, now in sevenths. Furiously swooping through the earth, half conscious with no form. Beware, children of the deities. Beware." With those words he sauntered off into the forest.

The other demigods shot a look at Nico. "Later," He mumbled.

After killing a couple more monsters, they stumbled across the other group. Except Malfoy wasn't there.

"What're yeh doin' here? I thought we split up," Hagrid said, raising his eyebrows.

"Well, we found you now. I think I have a lead on where the unicorn is though, Hagrid." Thalia said.

"Malfoy's waiting in Hagrid's hut— he got scared and wouldn't move," Harry whispered scathingly to the demigods.

As Thalia led them through the forest, another centaur came across them.

"Ronan," Hagrid said, clearly relieved it wasn't a monster. "How are yeh?"

Ronan didn't answer. He walked a couple more steps and threw his head to the sky. "Mars is bright tonight," the chestnut centaur said simply. "Unusually bright."

Percy snorted. "I doubt Mars is ever bright. Ares is not exactly logical— he probably got an idea that actually made sense for once." He muttered so that the wizards couldn't hear. Ronan heard anyways.

The centaur turned to Percy. "Child of Poseidon, your godly foe watches. The curse of Ares may no longer be upon you, but you must be careful. Ares is not one for mercy." He turned and walked away, until the darkness swallowed him.

"I wish centaurs would stop being so negative," Nico grumbled, walking again.

"Chiron isn't exactly cheery either," Annabeth added.

"Wait," Harry stared at them. "What does he mean, Child of Poseidon? Who's Ares and Chiron?"

Hagrid looked at Harry, then at the demigods. "It's yer secret to tell," He whispered, but not that quietly because Harry and Hermione both heard anyways.

"Fine." Annabeth was about to explain to them when suddenly they stumbled upon a clearing. The unicorn lay in it, dead.

A stooped cloaked figure was kneeled by it, drinking its silvery blood.

Hermione let out a blood curtling scream. The figure looked up and slowly made its way to Harry, pulling out its wand.

Suddenly it jerked. It tried to move closer, but was pushed back like there was an invisible wall moving it. The figure snarled, then it turned and fled.

Nico's hand was extended, his face more pale than usual in the haunting moonlight.

"What?" Harry stuttered.

"Nico, did you just control it?" Hermione asked tentatively.

"Yes," He growled. "Because it's hosting something that's almost a ghost."