Chapter Six: How Do You Not "Do" Christmas?

Soon the pattern on classes, eating and, the occasional bully became normal for the three friends. To Scorpius and Albus's relief, Nova stopped getting excited about just about everything in the Wizarding world, so the three had a better and stronger dynamic. Albus realized that besides his two companions, Hogwarts really wasn't all it was cracked up to be. However, he still had a slither of hope that it would grow on it, as his dad said it might seem scary at first.

However, Christmas was fast approaching, meaning that he would have to face his family with his Slytherin status. Despite his sense of worry, he was still looking forward to seeing all his cousins, and of course, opening some presents. One snowy day, about a week from Christmas break, he asked Scorpius and Nova about their Christmas plans.

"Well, we all get together at the Manor and have some food. Then we open presents." Despite how nice this sounded, he said it like it was the most dreaded event of the year.

"Why do you sound so down about it?" 

"Relatives," he said darkly.

"How about you Nova," inquired Albus, realizing she had been strangely quiet.

"Well," she started, sounding embarrassed "I don't really do Christmas. Or family stuff in general."

"You don't do Christmas?" Albus said, looking astounded, as if it was the most illogical thing in the world, "Why not?"

"Albus, don't pry," said Scorpius cautiously "It's not anyone's business."

"No no, it cool," said Nova sheepishly "I don't really have a huge crowd to start with. I live with my older brother, and he wasn't every really a Christmas person."

"Your older brother? That sounds cool." 

Scorpius buried his head in his hands.

"Well, sure I guess. He's a pretty nice guy. Although I feel for him being chained down with me. He really is only in his early twenties." Nova said all of this with a nonchalant air as if she had practiced talking about it casually.

"Why don't you come over to our house for Christmas?"

Albus thought it was a pretty normal offer to give her, but it was as if he had offered his life.

"Albus!" she exclaimed "I can't just barge in on your family celebration! I've only known you for  few month! What a deadweight I would be! I feel I should apologize already! My Christmas with my television will be a splendid one!"

"What about your brother?" blurted out Scorpius.

"I'll probably have a night out with his friends," she said, "It's his only time off, and he should worry his head about me."

"It's final," Albus announced, "You are forced to spend Christmas with me and my family."

Nova looked like she was about to explode, but Albus shushed her.

"We have a few minutes before lunch is over," he said, checking his watch and getting some spare parchment from his pocket, "I'm already writing the letter."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Albus had to endure dirty looks for the rest of the day. All because he decided to be nice.

"You better not send that letter," she whispered in a Potions class "You are not forcing my presence of unexpectant people."

"They'll be expecting you," he whispered back "Hence the letter."

"Mr. Potter, would you like to teach the lesson?"

"No Professor!" he called 

"You would probably do a better job at it," Nova said, from under her breath.

"Shut up!" Scorpius hissed.

When it was finally time to mail the letter of impending doom, Nova was starting to physically restrain Albus from leaving the common room.

"Come on Albus listen to me," she pleaded "I don't want to gate crash at your Christmas party! What would your parents think of you bringing home somebody like a stray dog?"

"Albus her brother will want to see her," said Scorpius reasonably.

Nova paused as if to contemplate this "Well...yeah sure! There is a chance he might miss me!"

Albus shook his head. 

"I'm sending the message and that's final," he said sternly "Now go to the corner and think of the horrible thing I've done."

Nova flopped onto an armchair, finally admitting defeat.

"I've been trying to stop you all day but I quit. Let your parents reject my presence instead."

"There is absolutely no way they will turn somebody away for Christmas."

"Do you really think of me as a stray dog?"

Albus gave no answer and strode out the portrait hole. Nova locked eyes with Scorpius, and they both sighed.

"Now what in the world am I going to do if his parents say yes?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Albus headed to the Owlry, he wondered why he had insisted on Nova coming along so much. He had been so occupied with the task, he never stopped to wonder why he was so insistant. It was probably because he had always had a soft spot for Chirstmas, and the idea that one of his best friends was spending it with a television set seemed to horrify him.

He knew that if he worded it right, there wads abosolutelty no way Grandma Weasly would let a young (probably hungry) girl spend Christmas alone. After all, that's where the message was going.