Chapter Fifteen: Heggie the Owl

Fifteen minutes and two diagrams later, Scorpius was staring at them incredulously.

"We're about to go on a ghost hunt and you forgot to tell me for almost six months?"

Albus looked at him sheepishly.

"Sorry," he said weakly.

Scorpius shook his head.

"Sometimes I really do wonder. When is this going to happen anyways?"

"As soon as he gets the headmistress's permission."

Nova looked at Albus for a moment.

"Have you ever heard of a rumored ghost around here?"

Albus thought.

"It's not like we have a huge social circle for the rumor to be passed down. Maybe we could ask someone..."

Nova snorted.

"So people can think we're even more insane than at present."

Scorpius gave her a look.

"I'm sure we could try somebody," he said carefully, "Or Albus could anyways."

"Why me?"

"You have the best connections. I'm sure somebody would talk to you."

Albus scoured his brain for somebody who wouldn't laugh in his face.

"I guess I could try those kids we met on the boat whose parents knew my dad."

Scorpius considered it.

"Decent enough plan. Which house are they in again?"

"Stupid Gryffindor," Nova muttered, "Obviously. Don't think of going to the house table, they'll eat you alive."

Scorpius gave her another look.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They had decided that Albus should pursue the information on the train ride home.

They had settled into a compartment, sweets which had magically appeared from Scorpius's trunk earlier scattered the seats once again.

"You really are constantly loaded with sweets," Nova said in a muffled tone as she tore into another Chocolate Frog.

Scorpius rolled his eyes.

"Don't get me started. My mum..."

At the mention of his mother, Scorpius went quiet. Nova seemed to soften.

"Did you...well...get any news yet?"

Scorpius's face darkened.

"I would have told you if I had. Not a single letter. I swear to god if she's...if she's"

He looked on the verge of tears again. Albus tried to veer them out of this topic.

"Well, maybe I should go try to get that information about the ghost. If I don't return, tell my brother he still owes me a Sickle."

"Does he really?" Scorpius asked.

"No. But he'll think he did."

Scorpius gave a small chuckle.

Grinning, Albus left the compartment. He hoped things wouldn't go too badly.

When he finally found Jack and Ellie, he noticed to his relief they were sitting with nobody else. At least if he was made a fool, the audience wouldn't be too big.