Chapter Eighteen: Weekly Game Night Finally Resumes

It would be lying to say that the second year was any easy than first. Scorpius, usually the life and soul of the group, was more contained and quiet than Albus had ever seen. Albus would catch him staring out of windows at long stretches during lessons and at mealtimes, and he would sometimes go hours without saying a single word. Nova, ever the fixer-upper, tried everything to get him to cheer up.

"Scorpiusssss, isn't Rose looking super cute today? There's no day like today to shoot your shot!"

Scorpius hardly looked up from his roast chicken, not that there was much on his plate. He hardly ate nowadays.

"Not right now Nova."

"You never know who's going to snatch her away though. That Chico guy seems like some hard competition..."

"Just forget it, ok?"

There was an unmistakable hardness in his voice and Nova seemed to have had enough.

"Scorpius, enough man."

Albus could see this going wrong in just about a million different ways.

"Nova, wait..."

She glared at him. "No, he needs to hear this! It's a hard time, I get it, and we're here for you. You lost someone really important and that majorly sucks. But it's been a month and you've been lost in outer space! You can't go on living like this forever, and I understand but your mom wouldn't have wanted this..."

Albus felt like dying on the inside. Nova had crossed the line so far he couldn't even see it from where they were. However, Scorpius seemed to have had had enough himself. He jolted up and turned to Nova, eyes blazing.

" You. Don't. Understand. ANYTHING! I've lost one of the only people that really, genuinely cared about me, and all your concerned about is me cramping your style! I'm sorry I'm not the life of the party I was before the death of my mother!"

The people around them were starting to stare, and Nova seemed to realize she had gone too far. She tried to soften her voice.

"Hey, sorry, I didn't mean..."

But Scorpius wasn't done.

"...at this insufferable school where everyone gives me dirty looks and everyone hates me. My god, I hate it here! I don't have a single person! Not one."

Albus decided now was the time to say something before one out of the two of his only friends lost it completely

"Scorpius please listen to me. Please. We may not be popular, liked, or even mildly tolerated by all the idiots here, but Nova and I will always care about you and love you. Always. We've been so worried about you man. Not because you're cramping our style but because we hate seeing you like this. So if you're sad, open up to us and we'll try to help, ok?"

Scorpius glared one moment longer before the fire left his eyes. He sat back down and put his head in his hands.

"I'm going insane. I miss her so much, but is it bad that sometimes I feel happy? Even though she's gone, I want to laugh and make jokes again."

He looked straight at both of them, tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry for pushing you guys away."

Nova looked on the verge of tears herself. Nevertheless, she smiled and laughed a little.

"Of course its okay to enjoy your life you dummy. You've grieved for her, and the best way to honor her life is to live your own."

Scorpius smiled for the first time in a while.

"Yeah, I guess your right huh."

Albus felt relief course through his body. Maybe finally they'd get Scorpius back.

"Does this mean you'll stop bailing on game night?"

Nova's eyes lighted up. Scorpius hadn't come to their weekly game of Exploding Snap since the second year had started.

"Well, I was trying to let you guys feel what it's like to win, but if you insist..."

Nova grinned, "As if! Albus hasn't won a single game, I'll destroy you without a doubt!"

"Hey, I have too won a game!"

The conversation drifted to something that resembled the ones they had in their first year. Albus finally felt that they were truly together again, and it felt good.

"You know," Albus added slyly, "Rose asked about you a few times when you were really upset. You could even say she was..." he paused for effect, "worried about you."

Despite trying to seem cool, Scorpius couldn't contain his interest.

"Really? You're lying..."

Nova shook her head, "Nope it's true. Heard it myself. You know, Albus and her are cool now, so he can definitely hook you guys..."

Scorpius blushed hard.

"Hold your horses, ok? I just want to be friends. Then maybe more than friends. Then maybe husband and wife."

Albus laughed.

"That can be arranged."

Author's Note: It's been almost two years guys, but I'm ready to do this again! I hope you guys can forgive me and continue supporting the story. See you next chapter!