Chapter Fourteen: The Trio Try To Pass Exams (And It Barely Works)

The reluctantly named Silver Trio returned to the Hogwarts rhythm of lessons, meals and, bullies.

Albus felt like the casual jabs and accidental trips had intensified since Christmas break. It was an interesting twist on the spirit of giving.

However, as the year began nearing it's close, Albus knew it was taking a toll on his friends. He wasn't the only one getting the strange looks and whispered comments. Even Nova, who really had no reason to be targeted was getting some abuse. It upset her greatly, and she spent many evenings in the common room ranting on behalf of all three of them. However, the grand finale seemed to be on the fortnight of finial exams, Scorpius's meticulous study notes were stolen. They found shreds of all over his bed the two days before exams.

"And I had colour coded them too!" Scorpius lamented.

"Maybe we could magic it back together?" Nova suggested, "I was relying on your notes too! This is an outrage! Exams start in two days and I haven't even crammed anything!"

"We can't magic it back together," Albus said dryly, "We aren't good enough, and no older student would help anyways. If we actually had more friends we could borrow but..."

All of a sudden, Nova had a fire in her eyes.

"Yes Albus, I know we don't have any other friends! I'm sick of this! We get prodded in the hallways, snubbed just about everywhere, and now vandalism? What are they going to do next? Kill us?"

"I think that a few steps up from our current situation," Scorpius said, slightly humored.

"Don't make suggestions," Albus added gravely, "The walls have ears."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In two weeks time, just after exams, Albus and his friends were breathing, but the situation hadn't really improved. They endured just about every annoyance in the book. 

Scorpius had picked his brain for a half decent replacement for his notes and had pulled through with respectable grades. Albus still had mediocre results, and after immense tutoring from Scorpius and an all-nighter study session, Nova had just kept her head above water.

"How in the world did you get full marks in History of Magic?" Nova exclaimed, looking over Scorpius's exam results.

"You stay awake."

Nova had infamously slept for at least part of every History of Magic lesson to date. 

Rose, who was with under the shade of a tree on the grounds, took a calculating look at Albus's results.

"Well Albus, I think you could do better but I guess it's acceptable..."

"What did you get?" Albus said, cutting her lecture off.

"Perfect."

Scorpius looked excited for a moment.

"So did I Rose! We're full marks buddies!"

Rose looked affronted and didn't meet his eye. She seemed uncomfortable. Even though she apologized for her behaviour to Albus, she still couldn't seem to get used to Scorpius. Albus knew she still looked down on him, if not consciously then subconsciously.

Scorpius's face fell a little because of Rose's reaction, but Nova tried kept the mood going.

"Well," she said in a stage whisper, giving Scorpius a pat on the shoulder, "You tried buddy."

Scorpius turned red, but Rose didn't seem to realize what she was talking about.

"Nova," Albus hissed, "Shut it."

"You want to go pretty boy?" Nova said jokingly, raising her fists, "I bet I can make you shut it real fast."

Albus and Scorpius were surprised. Nova didn't usually use slang like that. 

She seemed to realize something and she out her hands down, looking embarrassed.

"Sorry," she mumbled, "That was weird."

"It's fine," said Albus quickly, not wanting to make her feel bad.

There was an awkward silence when some girls came up to them. From their uniform, Albus could tell they were Gryffindors. He braced himself.

As expected, they shot Albus, Scorpius and, Nova a dirty look, then turned to Rose.

"Come on Rose," a girl whined, "Talk to us!"

"Let's go!"

Albus knew they thought badly of Rose's current company.

Rose shot Albus a helpless look and was pulled away.

Nova regained the angry look in her eyes.

"They think we're the scum of the earth. And Rose just went along with them! Nobody ever helps us out! They either hate us or ignore us!"

Scorpius, sensing a long rant, tried to calm her down.

"Come on Nova, we're used to it. Rose didn't really have a choice. They were literally taking her away."

Nova huffed, but she seemed to have gotten over it.

"What do you see in her anyway?"

Scorpius turned red again. Albus punched her lightly in the shoulder.

"Lay off him. Love has no bounds."

Scorpius turned even redder.

"Shut up both of you."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last day of school had arrived, and Albus couldn't decide if he was happy or sad.

"I won't miss certain people," he told his friends during their last meal for the year, "But at home, I'll be forced into Quidditch matches and have to hang out with James. I barely even used my dad's broom this year."

Nova seemed to remember something.

"Wait. Remember during Christmas you told me about the reverse Ghostbusters thing?"

Albus took a few seconds to realize what she was talking about.

"Oh, that. Uncle George sent me a letter saying he was trying to get permission to search the castle during the summer."

"You didn't tell me that!"

Scorpius looked utterly confused.

"What are you two talking about?"

Albus and Nova looked at each other. Nova slapped her forehead.

"We forgot to tell him."