3

I had to go with him. Not anyone else, just me. In a car. In my car. I was so nervous I was sweating. He seemed calm, which was good since he would be doing most of the talking. I drove over to the office of our client with him sifting through the file on the orders that had been placed over the last few years. I was familiar with the company, on speaking terms with the agent and apparently that meant I had to go with him as a liaison.

"You have a nice car Miss Burns. Mercedes?" He murmured after we had been driving for ten minutes. I flinched at the discourse since he had been silent up until now.

"Ah, thank you. I have a friend who got me a deal on a used one. Traded up, so to speak." He glanced at my nervous tapping on the steering wheel and I forced my hand to still. The light changed to green and I moved ahead. The smooth feel of driving helping to calm me a little since the silence was driving me crazy.

"He said to leave the car in the front lot instead of driving around back." I nodded and pulled into the visitors spot by the entrance. Damien got out, and I followed swiftly, stroking the door handle to lock it automatically as I fell into step behind him. Two people waited inside the door for us.

"The man on the left is Hardy, the woman on the right is Judith." I murmured as we approached with smiles all around. Introductions were made by Hardy and myself, then they led us to a small boardroom. Papers came out, followed by pens. Everything was summarised, glanced over and approved. Signatures and handshakes rounding out the meeting and a feeling of satisfaction on all sides. This was a part of the business I didn't get to see very often, if at all.

When we climbed back in my vehicle, he sat back with a sigh. I waited a moment before starting up the engine, and was surprised when he turned on the radio. He smiled at my choice station still set from my ride in the morning. I expected him to change it, but he just looked over at me considering. It made me nervous again, him staring like that.

"What?" I managed. Glancing over at him as I pulled out into traffic. He shrugged and looked away.

"Nothing. I just took you for more of a Jazz kind of girl." I laughed and he joined me. I shook my head.

"Nope, that is only for weekends. Some good Hard Rock is perfect for getting me started in the morning for work, Dance is good for working out, and Classical for cooking or getting over my temper." I bit my tongue when it occurred to me that I was babbling. When I glanced over his eyebrow was raised.

"Ah, so you have a temper?" He said slyly. I couldn't help but grin at the tone. I nodded instead of answering. "Hey, turn left here."

"What? Why?" I said, surprised. When I glanced over his face was inscrutable.

"It's lunch. Might as well grab something before we head back. There is a great diner just down the street." He pointed at a neon tube sign that lit up the top of a black and white checkered building. 'Sam's Place' was a small eatery with an even smaller parking lot next to it, in which we managed to grab the last spot.

"I've never been here before." I said as the waitress left us with menus.

"Well, I haven't had a bad meal here before so choose whatever. It's on the company." I protested but he just winked at me conspiratorially. I caved. How could I not. Those beautiful green eyes of his had me staring just a minute longer before glancing over the menu. The waitress was back before I could decide with any surety what I really wanted, so I just picked the first thing that looked good.

"I'll have the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich please. Salad instead of fries and a milk to drink." I handed her the menu and frowned at Damien as he snickered at me.

"I'll have the Steak on a Bun and Coke to drink." He handed her the menu and I crossed my arms over my chest.

"What?" I asked peevishly. He shook his head.

"Salad and milk at a diner? C'mon. At least have fries and a milkshake." I laughed at his response.

"That is so cliché. Do you have any idea how many sets of stairs I'd have to climb to be able to eat dinner tonight? I sit for more than half the day, if I ate like that I would be huge." I retorted. He laughed again.

"I don't get it. Why so serious about it? You are gorgeous so stop worrying so much." He seemed startled at his own words and looked away. My face was red, like hotter than sunburn red. I couldn't even look in his direction until our drinks got deposited on the table. I grabbed my milk with relief and snuck a peek at him. He was playing with his straw, obviously nervous. Dammit, I should thank him at least for being nice.

"Ah, thanks. Thank you. For saying that, I mean. I used to be on the chubby side so I guess I'm just sensitive." I laughed a little at the guilty look he shot me. The tension was better though so I took it as the right thing to say. "Do you come here often?"

"I suppose." He said slowly. "I come a couple times a month, I guess. Mostly just to avoid cooking for myself."

"You don't have a partner or spouse? How is that even possible? This world really is going to the dogs if you can't find a date." We both laughed. I only felt slightly idiotic. So far so good.

"Yes well, I have dated a bit but just no one at the moment and haven't really found... you know, the one." He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. I nodded and sipped my milk. I could completely relate to that, and told him so. Then our food showed up so we were too busy stuffing our faces to talk. I really mean that; cause holy mother the food was amazing here. I refused to put down my food once I picked it up, not even to wipe the juice I felt running out of the corner of my mouth.

When it was gone, I quite literally licked the sauce from my fingers. Then I noticed someone staring at me rather intently and hid behind a napkin while I turned into a tomato. Embarrassing, in a word. I had forgotten who I was out with in my zeal to eat. I would probably be unable to look him in the eye for the next week, just to be safe. God, what have I done?

"Don't feel too bad, I did the same thing when I came here for the first time." I risked a glance and he winked at me with a straight face. Urrgghh. I looked away and smiled a little forced so he wouldn't think I was a bitch. He got up and paid at the register while I talked myself into the courage needed for the ride back to the office.

"All set?" I asked him. He nodded and we left to return to work.

*****

Damien

Oh god. The scene from the diner played over and over in my brain until I thought I was going to go mad. No lip gloss, no lipstick, just plump pink lips devouring the chicken sandwich like a starving person. I hadn't even tasted my steak. All I could think about was if those lips had been wrapped around... No. No. No. The way her hands had stroked the steering wheel leather like it was a ... No. No. No. The way the juice had dripped down her chin as she swallowed... NO. I covered my face with my hands and scrubbed.

I was in hell. I had to smile and pretend I didn't feel like my heart beat out of my chest when she smiled at me. I had to ignore the heat that traveled up my arm when she accidentally brushed my hand. I had to stay friends with the office goddess. I had to. No matter what. She was my subordinate and that meant hands off. Even if I could picture us dating. Even if she featured in my night time fantasies. Even if I was falling for her hard.