23

Erin

"Can't we just have brownies instead?" He tilted his head as he stared at the catalogue of cakes that the woman had set in front of us. The profusions of flowers were a bit much for me too. I wanted simple, like us, not flashy. Now I was picturing a tower of chocolate brownies and trying to keep my drool from sneaking out the corner of my mouth. Oh my god, that sounded perfect. We exchanged a glances and a quick nod.

"Yes. Let's do it. Can you do a tower of chocolate brownies? I think I saw some out in the bakery, can we order a few tiers of those?" Damien asked the bakery cake planner. She was looking at us like we were crazy, but shrugged and grabbed a different booklet from her shelf.

"Sure, why not. We have these platters available for corporate dinners, but I am sure we could tailor one to your needs." She smiled at the grins on both of our faces. This was more like it!

I really thought I would hate all the planning involved for the wedding, but it wasn't too bad with Damien helping me. We hired a wedding planner through one of his sisters, and she was a gem. She helped us keep on track and on budget, as well as keeping his mother from taking over and inviting everyone. She talked us both out of some silly choices, but was flexible enough to agree to the brownies (thank goodness or there might have been a mutiny).

The bride was going to wear white, the groom was wearing a grey suit, and the family and friends who mattered were going to be there for our special day. I even found a priest to marry us, just like Uncle Robbie and my family would have wanted. She was a great woman, very understanding and I think I might stay in touch when all this is over. Take another look at the whole religion thing again, maybe.

We fought over food, guests and honeymoon. We agreed on venue, flowers and vows. We compromised over and over, but were getting exactly what we wanted in the scheme of things. Each other. We had been through too much, alone and together, to give up now. It was time for the fairy tale ending and the beginning of our life (officially) together. It was time to start living happily ever after.