A Cat Problem

"Exactly what do you need me for here?"

"In case he spots me, I need to look like I was just walking by. If you're here, it looks more convincing, Alya."

"Girl, I really think you're getting crazier. You might want to look into this whole stalking thing."

"This - This isn't stalking! This is... Watching from afar!"

"No, that's what they call it in movies. In real life, we call that stalking."

Marinette and Alya had been waiting outside the school building for over an hour at this point, simply waiting for Adrien to finish with his regular Chinese lessons. Alya had absolutely no idea why Marinette wanted to do this. She'd known him for well over a year now, and not once had she insisted on basically following him back home. That was fairly creepy to Alya, ever for Marinette at this point. She knew, of course, her friend wasn't planning anything weird. She knew her well enough to know Marinette wasn't like that, but when you get a text on a Sunday evening asking you to stay behind with your bestie to follow and basically spy on her crush the next day... That was certain to raise an eyebrow.

"Remind me again, why are we following him back to his house?" The tanned skinned girl asked her friend, who was peeking around the corner of the wall they were hidden behind.

"It - It's a gut feeling, okay? I get the feeling something bad will happen." Marinette knew that that was a poor lie, but she couldn't think of anything else if she tried. Saying she just wanted to watch him sounded weird, and saying she got a message from a magical device would sound absolutely insane.

She was fully aware of Tikki's warning, that this may turn out to be nothing... But on the very slim chance, as Tikki put it, that it was real... Marinette would never, ever forgive herself if something happened to the blond model, while she had had information about it. She had to make sure that he would be okay. And it wasn't even anything to do with her crush on him. It was that part of her that was Ladybug, that part of her brain that told her this was part of her duty as a hero... The fact is was Adrien was just an added bonus.

Yeah... An added bonus.

"So we're out here, based on your intuition?" Alya questioned with her usual smile and raised eyebrow.

"Yeah." It wasn't the best excuse, but it was all Marinette had. She felt lucky that because she was looking away from Alya, her friend was unable to see the crimson blood blush on her otherwise pale face.

"Wonderful. Second question... Why are we hiding from him exactly?"

Thankfully, the bluenette didn't have to come up with an answer to that question. She saw the doors to the school open, and shot herself behind the wall again, to hide from whoever it was leaving. At this time, it only could be Adrien. When she sneaked a confirming look, she saw she was right.

There he was, waiting as usual, for his ride to show up.

"Okay, so he's here." Whispered Alya to her friend. "What do we do now?"

"We just... Make sure he gets home okay, I guess."

"...I'm not gonna lie girl, this is weird. Are you okay?"

"Hello?" Adrien asked. Marinette froze, fearing she had been caught before she'd even started. She held her breath and felt her heart stop. "Father?" And then it started again. She took in a deep intake of air, and peeked around the corner at the blond, trying to expose as little of herself as possible. She saw that his head was hung somewhat low, with his phone against his hear, indicating he was on a phone call. Occasionally, he would nod. "Uh huh... Okay. I understand, father. Yes, I'll be fine." He then hung up, and placed his phone into his jean pockets, and began to walk down the street, in the total opposite direction.