The Final Message (Final Chapter)

Marinette had met Gabriel Agreste before. That was a given. The derby hat competition was a good example of an occasion of a chance where she had gotten the rare opportunity to speak to Paris's most famous fashion designer. The main reason for her doing so had been her defending her design from Chloe's plagiarism, so she wasn't entirely certain that it counted.

She'd met him as Ladybug. Then again, she wasn't entirely certain if that counted either. Talking to someone when you're trying to save their life seems like a pretty basic stage. When faced with mortality, everyone was equal, despite every other protest from anyone else, so did it honestly count as some sort of social interaction? Not to mention, she was behind a mask at that point. When she was able to hide behind her Ladybug persona, Marinette was about five times as confident as she was normally.

Meeting someone behind a mask was very different to meeting someone without one. And honestly felt a lot more intimidating.

As least, that was how Marinette felt when she finally came face to face with Adrien's father. She'd fought Akuma's, criminals, even Chat Noir, through no choice of her own of course, but there was something about the tall, spectacle wearing designer that made her shiver up close. Could it be that it was because she had admired his work for so long, and this was like meeting a hero? Perhaps it was down to how he seemed to look down on her from the end of his nose, or because he was standing atop a large flight of stairs, while she and Adrien were right at the bottom of them. Or maybe it was because he didn't smile, and didn't look like he had in about five to eight years.

"Hello." He was sternly spoken. There was no trace of friendliness, welcoming, or as little as intrigue to his voice. He was cold. During the derby contest, he'd at least some impress with her skills as a designer. Here, there was none of that. He very nearly sounded bored.

Adrien knew Marinette and Gabriel knew one another, however little that actually was. He went through with introductions, since it was expected of him. "Uh, Father, this is Marinette. The uh, the girl I told you about."

"I can see that, Adrien." His father acknowledged matter-of-factly as he walked down the ridiculously long set of stairs that connected the first two floors. Gabriel didn't mock his son with his tone, nor did he embellish or joke. He spoke like he was stating a mere fact. While not inaccurate, Marinette couldn't help but feel his response had been blunt at best, and curt and a tad rude at worst.

While she had seen Adrien's house before, interior and exterior, she had never really acknowledged it, since each of her trips there had been brief, and normally tinted with a hint of danger. It was enormous, there wasn't any way to question or deny that. This really was the life of luxury, and it amazed her when Adrien told her how cold Gabriel was. Perhaps she had possessed this unconscious perception that anyone who could provide their child with this sort of life must have done so out of love for their child. Or maybe she just hadn't wanted to accept that her most idolised designer was the kind of person who could be like that. Yes he was serious, and strict... But...

It shocked her when she felt that same coldness coming from Gabriel right now. It made the entire foyer feel like a freezer. She couldn't feel a spot of warmth to the designers words.

The middle aged man stood on the steps just one up from Marinette, where he could look down on her better, not that he needed help in being taller than her. He seemed to scowl for a second, inspecting her and the blue clothing she wore. He himself looked like he was headed out to a business meeting with work associates, in a smart pressed grey suit. Where Adrien and Marinette were semi - formal, Gabriel was fully formal, complete with a tie, and his suit buttoned up.

"A pleasure." He extended a hand for the blue haired girl to shake. She wasn't surprised by how firm his grip was. "Adrien has spoken very highly of you."