What Is Shared

A scolding had been expected by Adrien for having the defiance to deviate from his path straight home to take care of an abandoned cat. He'd expected it, for absolute certain, and had also been completely aware that his father wouldn't have had time to do it, so he'd had Nathalie do it for him. Gabriel Agreste, not even the free time to scold his child. Adrien wasn't sure what depressed him more, the fact he was being talked down to for doing the right thing, or that his father couldn't even be bothered to do it himself.

To her credit, Nathalie had made sure it was swift and relatively painless, since she seemed to understand that Adrien was only trying to do the morally correct thing, but had to meet with the compromise of doing her job correctly. It had been more of a telling off than it was a scold, but the message from Adrien's father was clear. Don't do that again. Return straight home as agreed. There will be very serious consequences if you fail to do so next time this occurs.

All this because he had come home maybe ten minutes later than he normally would have done. While part of that did contribute to him actually taking the cat the the shelter, he could have made that time up by breaking into a light jog. The main reason he had been late was because he had spent some of that time talking to Marinette.

Not that it was her fault, of course. Adrien had been fully aware of the likely repercussions for staying and talking to her. He had decided that, in that exact moment, that he had wanted to, so he didn't begrudge her for that in the slightest. Still, he found it sort of weird that she just happened to be there at the exact time he happened to be there, but he didn't think too much about that fact.

Returning to his room, Adrien sat on his bed and began to thin.

"If it helps, kid, I think you made the right call." Plagg commented to his human partner, exiting the pocket that he inhabited during school hours.

"Thanks, Plagg." Adrien nodded, his gratitude for that simple gesture larger than Plagg knew. right now, however, Adrien was thinking more about the Soul Link. He laid on his bed, and held his right hand in the air, like he was grasping at an invisible object in the sky, just slightly out of his reach. He looked at his ring, watching how the small metallic object reflected the light that hit the surface of it. He had to wonder, would this device give him more hints as to the identity of Ladybug? Would it tell him more about her? About the Soul Link they shared? "What secrets are you keeping from me?..."

"Kid?"

"Hrrm? Oh, nothing, Plagg. Just thinking is all. Hey, d'you know if Ladybug's miraculous will be sending her messages as well?"

"It's possible. It depends if her miraculous has been with her long enough. Yours activated abnormally quickly, so I wouldn't put my money on it.""

"Right..." Adrien said quietly, still staring at the magical object around his ring finger. 'So, if I told her about the Soul Links, she'd probably think I was flirting with her again... What cruel irony. I flirt with her, that even if I try and tell her about this, she'll just think I'm flirting again.'

He sighed. Talk about karma.

How would he even go about explaining a Soul Link to his lady? The miraculouses tell you who your soulmate is via magic and project messages onto a wall? That's right up there with screaming 'Ancient Egyptian laser beams', and expecting to be taken seriously. So, really, what else was there for Adrien to do, other than keep on keeping on as he normally would have done? there was no need to concern Ladybug with such matters.

He spent the rest of the day on Alya's Ladyblog, trying to gather his thoughts.

Even if he was convinced they were soulmates, he wouldn't push her towards anything.