Mom

Peter's POV: 

When Sally and Paul moved into the apartment next to mine a few months ago they were kind to me. Kind isn't a strong enough word though, They were caring, friendly, thoughtful, upbeat, excited, good-natured. In short, they were the kind of people people didn't think existed, they were just that nice. Bring-cookies-over-to-your-house-out-of-the -blue -remember-you-birthday-even-though-you-only-told-them-about-it-once nice. And Sally? She was almost motherly to me, when Aunt May had to work or just couldn't be there she would help me. Paul acted as a father figure to me. He'd help me with homework, he'd call me out if I was being an idiot, he'd tell me the truth no matter what. There moving in has easily been the best thin got happen to me since who knows when.

But their kindness almost hurt some days. Because they were good to me, unfailingly cheerful around me, never moping, never acting upset. Except Sally's son had disappeared. There one day gone the next. And she loved him more than she loved anything in the world. His name was Percy and, hearing her talk, he was a hero. The most amazing human being to ever walk on the face of the earth. Paul, who wasn't Percy's real dad, loved him like any father would love his own son. He was respectful too though, respectful of whoever Percy's biological father was. So Percy's disappearance had turned both of their worlds upside down. 

The worst part? Both of them refused to admit Percy was dead. Of course I never said anything, but when a person is missing for over a year without any contact one of a few things could have happened. One- They've run away from home never to be heard from again. However, with everything that Sally and Paul said about Percy that didn't seem likely. Two- They've been kidnapped. But it's been son long that really, the only viable option is, three- He's dead. Even though Sally would never admit it I think it haunts her, the thought of her only son being dead. And in heart I think she might have always thought that to be true.

Now he's back though, pretty obviously not dead. To be honest I'm sort of surprised I didn't recognize Percy on sight. Every time I went over to Sally and Paul's I'd see picture of him everywhere. Pictures of him as a little kid, pictures of him smiling, surrounded by friends, pictures of him with a blonde girl, so many pictures with the blonde girl. I'd tried to ask Sally about him a million times, but all she'd ever say was that he was an amazing guy and she's so proud to have her as her son, no matter what.

The boy on the stoop is different from the boy in all those pictures though. He's smaller, less muscular, like someone who had been in great shape until they were put in terrible living condition. That's not it though, not all of it. There's something else, his eyes are darker, haunted. He doesn't look like a guy to laugh on the beach with a group of friends. he looks downright dangerous. The way he reached for his pocket, as if for some sort of weapon and then jerked his hand away. I don't think that the boy Sally lost is going to be the one she gets back. For her sake I hope he's the same, though the boy I met doesn't seem like the fearless, laughing, caring boy she described. He seemed like a fighter, a warrior. Someone who would never back down until he got exactly what he wanted. 

But I sent him up the path, told him to go. Because no matter who he'd become he was still Sally's son and she needed him. She needed him because whatever he did she wouldn't love him any less for it. She couldn't love him any less for it. She's to kind for that.

I watch him go to the door, watch him ring the bell. There's hesitation in his movements. He doesn't want to be here and I want to hate him for that. I can't though. After all this time, gone with not explanation, well not many people would've bothered to come home at all. Even if it took him to long, even if he practically tortured his mother being gone, even if he messed up in a thousand ways. Well, at least he came back.

Still he's waited at the door. At some point I realize I'm holding my breath in anticipation and immediately let it out. This isn't some reality TV show, long lost son comes home after acting like and idiot for a year. No, this is friends lives. Messed up because of someones thoughtlessness. Somehow though, Percy's absence doesn't feel like that. Somehow it feels involuntary. It feels like something that hurt to many people. And I think that one of those people was Percy.

The door opens but I turn away before I see anything more than recognition on Sally's face. This moment is person, no matter for what reason. Whatever Percy might have done wrong is inconsequential just by the look on his mothers face. Pure joy. Nothing could taint that look.

A/N

Quick note, Peter Parker is going into 12th grade, like Percy. The Peter Parker I'm using is sort of a mix of Andrew Garfield and Tom Holland (because I'm editing this story and when I started it Tom Holland Spiderman didn't exist and his was much better written, however some major plot points revolve around Andrew Garfield events so...)  Confusing? Yes. My bad. But the original story was just so bad it wasn't even funny but it gets better as the story goes on, I promise.

Quick disclaimer, I am not the CEO of Marvel, nor am I Rick Riordan. Thus it follows that I don't own anything in this story except the plot. I will not do A/N's every chapter. See ya later alligator