Voices

Percy's POV: 

"You're all idiots!" Joy yelped.

"Aw, come on Joy, don't be a spoil sport. It's not like its dangerous." Peter laughed.

"Um, correct me if I'm wrong but flying through the air upside down on a piece of wood doesn't seem the safest."

"I've done it for years and I'm perfectly fine."

"Well that's simply a matter of opinion."

"Didn't we say we were going for pizza anyway?" Radi questions, trying to keep the peace. That's the thing about Joy, it can be a battle just to keep the peace with her, except it doesn't seem as though she wants to fight. She just clashes with people.

"Can we not get pizza, I don't think I've eaten anything but pizza since build season's started." DJ moans.

"Remember those things that are sweet but good for you? But don't come out of a box or microwave. What are they called again?" Josiah paused, as if trying to grasp a word, "Fruit! Fresh fruit! I haven't had anything non-processed in forever."

"We could go to that chicken place, the spicy one." Peter suggests.

"I don't eat meat, can we go somewhere else?" Radi blushes slightly.

"Oh yeah, your a vegan." DJ smirks, obviously up to something.

"I'm not vegan!" Radi screeches like an angry pterodactyl. Well that escalated quickly.

"But you don't eat meat." DJ continues to smirk. 

"That called being a vegetarian!"  Radi's level of indignation soars. Joy rolls her eyes at me, giving a long suffering sigh. I got the feeling this was a common occurrence. 

"But you don't eat eggs either!" DJ pretends to look confused.

"Oh go back to your computer, geek. Maybe you can hack some social skills from someone. That'd be nice." Radi spits out. Much to my surprise Matt, who hasn't said a word all evening is shaking with laughter. The whole team is. I jolt with shock when I realize that I too am laughing. For real. Not faking, or pretending. Not for show. Just because I want to, because someone who I'm around made me want to laugh. Maybe things can get better. Maybe one day I'll be able to live my life without constantly thinking of the past. Not yet. But perhaps someday. 

When I rejoin the conversation the conclusion has been reached that nobody needs fresh food and we're just going to get pizza. I pick up my skateboard for fear of incurring Joyish wrath. She nods approvingly. Radi's sulking and DJ's looking very self satisfied. They really just need to start dating.

"I like to call them Dadi." A voice whispers in my ear. My pulse races, and my hand reaches for my pocket, ready to whip out Riptide. I'm prepared for a fight as I spin, poised to disable my attacker. I grab its wrist and jerk it backwards.

"Ow! Let go of me!" Joy tries to twist out of my grip. But I'm to strong. I can't move. I can't think. I can't let it hurt me.

"Hey, what the heck Percy! Let her go!" Another hand grabs mine, stronger, forcing the wrist out of my grasp. As soon as its gone I stumble, unable to support my weight. Joy is standing back, shaking but trying to hide it. DJ is right behind Peter, ready to beat me up. Even Josiah is in fighting position. Matt stands in front of Joy, as if to protect her. Radi trows her arms protectivly around Joy's shoulders. Joy's supposed to be my friend. And I attacked her. Just like every night I do to Annabeth in my dreams. 

Suddenly it's to much and I collapse entirely. The world spins and darkens. Old wounds ache as though fresh. Voices which I've tried so hard to block out scream louder, commanding to be let free of their cages. The demons want to be freed. This time I don't know if I can hold them off.

"You couldn't protect them." The voices hiss.

"They call you a hero." 

"They'd all be better off if you were dead." 

"Your mom doesn't want you here, disturbing her life again."

"You should have just stayed in Tartarus."

"They all hate you now, you did attack one of their own."

"You dream of hurting her, and even dreams stem from truth."

I can't breathe. They screech, louder and louder. They won't stop, and I can't leave. Because it's all happening inside my mind. You can't fight something that cannot be seen.

"You thought you could get rid of us," The voices sneer, "But we are you."

Darkness swirls around me. I can't hold on much longer. A studio is coming into my vision and I know I'm dying. Nothing left in me is willing to struggle. Death is a blessing today. It's better for everyone anyway. They'll be safer without me there to get them all hurt.

"Percy?" A new voice comes through, "Percy, are you all right?" A bright face breaks through the DO Recording Studio scene. "Percy, wake up" The voice shouts. I'm shaking. No, I'm being shaken. Slowly my eye's focus. Horns are honking, buildings stand stoically and three old, withered ladies circle behind the robotics team, holding a bag of yarn. The one in the middle holds a giant pair of sheers over a piece of yarn. She pulls the sheers back and places the yarn back in the basket. 

"It is not your time yet, young hero." They wheeze as one. And then they're gone.