Unflinching

Peter's POV:

When I agreed not to tell Percy's mom about his episode I kind of assumed it was an isolated incident. Or at least rare. Naive, I know. But I didn't think he could be violent, it didn't seem like the type of person that he was. Yet he'd grabbed Joy's wrist, hard, from the sound of it. And then he fell to the ground as though his legs could no longer support his weight. T first I'd wanted to ignore him, to go make sure Joy was alright. It was his fault. Except a small part of me wouldn't let me. Because here's the thing- Sure, I'm Peter Parker, but I'm also Spiderman. To be Spiderman there has to be something different about me. If I was always this way I couldn't say, but now I am. Seeing people in pain, especially cause by their own self is torture. Maybe that's why I go forward. Or maybe it's because Percy's mom asked me to keep an eye on it. Or maybe it was just because he was causing a scene. I couldn't really say.

I try and shake Percy awake like I did last time, except he doesn't respond. It's almost as if he doesn't want to wake up. But of course that's crazy.

"Percy." I mutter, trying not to draw more attention than we already have. "Percy, are you all right?" As soon as I say it I realize how absurd it sounds, he's passed out on a New York street after attacking one of his friends. Of course he's not all right. Perhaps it's just my imagination but his eyelids seem to flicker. Maybe the extreme stupidity of my previous statement will draw him into the land of the living. At a second glance though he is just as unconscious as ever. I'm getting nervous, because being unconscious for a long time is bad (see, this is why I'm considered a genius). 

"Percy, wake up!" And, by some miracle, he does. His eye's only glance over me and the rest of the team though. Instead he's focused on something behind us. Except there's nothing there. His breathing quickens, as if he's terrified. Yet no matter how hard I look there is nothing to inspire such fear behind me. A few old ladies, a pigeon or two and the customary New York litter. Pigeons don't normally cause panic. 

"Percy?" Joy asks tentatively, "Are you OK? Look, its alright, you didn't hurt me, it was just a surprise, that's all." She reaches to shake his shoulder. A glance at DJ show's him practically vibrating with anger. Nobody can stop Joy once she's decided to do something though. And I really don't think Percy is a bad guy, despite the evidence on the contrary. 

In a instant Percy refocuses, his eye's landing on Joy. DJ tenses, Radi leans forward, Matt takes a step back, Josiah looks about to scream for help. But Joy just stands there, unflinching, like nothing in the world could touch her. Maybe it couldn't. 

"I'm so sorry." He whispers, pulling himself away from her. Except did I mention that when Joy decides to do something there's no stopping her. Most people would have walked away, called the police, that sort of thing. But instead she puts out her hand to help him up. For a moment we all stand completely still, like  photograph. Nobody moves or even breathes, like a single motion will shatter this tentative, peace like action that is unfolding. 

Then someone pushes play. Percy reaches up and takes Joy's hand. DJ steps forward. Joy pulls Percy up. For a moment she keeps her hand an his, forcing him to look into her eye's, not letting him look away. Then she nods and lets go.

"Well I don't know about anyone else but I'm starving. If I'm not terribly mistaken this trip was to get pizza." Joy smiles and starts to walk on towards the pizza place, the rest of us watching incredulously. 

A/N 

VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

So I recently asked @Chaos_Wayne to make me a new cover (isn't it incredible!) but since I've replaced it I've gotten offer's from several other people for a new cover. This is really nice of you guy's and I feel all warm a fuzzy because people spent all this time making me a new cover. But I asked @Chaos_Wayne to make my cover and I really love it. So although all you're covers are great I'm sort of mass declining your offers, because I love my cover. Thank you all for your offers though! (If you'd like to make me a cover my story Half-Bloods and Hogwarts has one just downloaded from google, so I'd love new cover for that one). Also, I sort of want to start a new story (I won't drop this one though!) When I start that one I'd love some a cover for it. Thanks everyone! Bye Random Strangers!!!