Chapter One

"Alixandria Ross?"

     "Here." I rose my hand. Mr. Sullivan marked off my name and moved to the next person.

Lecture went by tediously slow. I found myself zoning out more often. My nerves driving my foot to tap impatiently. I tried to pry my eyes from the clock as every minute ticked by slower than the last. I doodled. I counted down from 100. Tried to say the alphabet backwards in my head, but nothing could distract me from the irregular beat of my heart.

Not this lecture that would've once been fascinating to me. Not the distractions I had taught myself. I felt a wave of lightness and I grabbed my stuff. Not bothering to shove it in my backpack. I just took it all and practically ran out. Stepping into the nearest bathroom and falling to my knees in the nearest empty stall.

I took deep breaths and felt for my pulse. My hands were in my hair and I felt like I was going insane. Why was this happening to me? I was so tired of it! So emotionally drained.

I took out my heart beat monitor and waited patiently. 160bpm. I scrambled for my medication. Took it with a gulp and waited. Taking my phone out, I shot Henry a text

     'Had another attack.'

Almost immediately he replied. 'Baby, I'm so sorry. Are you okay? Did you take your medication already?'

     'Yes, but u know how I get.' I felt the tears in my eyes. I hated going through this. Especially without him by my side.

     'Skip class. Come home, relax and I'll take care of you as soon as I'm off work.'

~

When I was finally feeling myself again, I stood up. I finally organized my things in my bag. I pulled my hair in a ponytail and fixed my makeup. I was thankful I hadn't worn any mascara today.

Although Henry wanted me home, I knew I had an obligation to my education. I had been skipping class regularly and that made it hard to do my homework when I wasn't there for lectures.

I set off toward the tutoring center. Even though all I wanted was to go home and sleep. Nothing sounded better than laying in bed while Henry took care of me. I sighed.

When I entered the tutoring center, I signed in. I looked around the room for Francine, but she was nowhere in sight. She was my favorite tutor.

     "Excuse me, could you tell me if Francine is working today?"

     "Of course." The girl behind the counter spoke into a walkie system. "Sorry, looks like she's no longer tutoring, but Idris is covering for her. He's great at human anatomy. He should be in room 4." She turned, pointing at the rooms to the far corner to my right.

     "Thanks." I smiled and went in the direction she pointed. I entered the small enclosed area and found a couple of my other classmates in there.

Though this space was a little small, the building was wide and open with good air circulation and lots of noise. I'd be okay here.

     "Dude! Where'd you run off to? You just booked it in class again." Camilla came over to me. She had been my lab partner until I started skipping class. She was kind. A tall girl with long straight black hair, a golden complexion, honey colored eyes hidden behind light curled lashes, a thin figure and heart shaped face. Camilla was my savior. Texting me the class notes and helping me study.