Chapter 5

"Accept your past without regrets, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear."

5. Let's Get Down To Business

"Cory, what's a rave?" 

"Like a shubz or um, a party." I was currently cooking myself and Delante some breakfast as I was extremely hungry whilst talking to Cory on my new phone. Tonight, I was attending the 'rave' with Delante because last night, after hours of laying wide awake, thinking, I realised that I had to go with him, no questions asked. 

I flipped the french toast in the pan and checked the sausages that were frying. 

"Oh!" I understood. It felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders but although I finally knew what a rave was, I'd never actually been to one in my sixteen years of living.

"So, you coming with me?" I pursed my lips. 

"No, I'm going with my boyfriend," I replied. The word smoothly rolled off my tongue, yet felt extremely foreign. 

"Swear down, you got a man?" he gasped, sounding very shocked. I nodded. 

"Yeah."

"Sh*t man! I thought we were best friends and you wanna keep this from me? Ite, say nuttin'. I see how our friendship don't even mean that much to you. It's cool, it's bless!" I rolled my eyes for what felt like the thousandth time this morning. He was so dramatic.

"Okay, I'm sorry," I pleaded, tired of his theatrics. "It just slipped my mind." He chuckled.

"I was joking, Eva. What's his name?" 

"D -" I was cut off by the door opening. My head snapped to the side to see Delante stretching. My eyes widened and my heart beat quickened. He was wearing a white vest that showed his defined abs, black and red basketball shorts and ankle socks. He yawned, rubbed his head and sleepily smiled at me before walking to the bathroom. 

" - llo? Anyone there?" Cory's voice snapped me out of my daze and I cleared my throat before replying. 

"Um, what?" He kissed his teeth and chuckled. 

"Nuttin' but yeah, man's gone now yeah. Baby mother's hottin' up my line! One." He hung up and I attended to my breakfast, trying to keep my thoughts on my food. Immediate fail because firstly, I was actually attending my first party tonight and I had no idea what to expect. I was also clueless as to what I was supposed to wear! I was frustrated. 

"Cool, Eva?" I jumped in fright and turned around. I was met with a tired looking Delante. I smiled. 

"Morning," I replied. I dished out two plates of food and placed one in front of Delante as he smiled gratefully. 

"Ah safe! You didn't have to cook, though."  I smiled. 

"It's fine, I wanted to." He smiled in return and showed his deep dimples which sent my heart into a frenzy. Wow. We made small talk until we'd finished eating and went our separate ways.

 "Eva speaking," I greeted as I lay on my bed. Delante had left a few minutes ago and I had decided to search for something to wear when my phone rang. 

"Hey Eva! It's Kaya," she replied. "Are you hitting that rave tonight in Peckham?" 

"Yes, unfortunately." She gasped. 

"Unfortunately? Wagwan?" 

"I don't know what to expect and what to wear!" I exclaimed. She kissed her teeth.