8) Early Sunsets over Catholic high schools

Frank was fucked.

If Gerard got hurt, it would be his fault. If he broke up with Gerard and Gerard hurt himself, it would be his fault. There wasn't a good option for either of them. But Frank needed to stand up for Gerard, whether he had balls or not.

So Frank was chilling out at home in his living room, feet up and watching some stupid movie on his TV, when his parents came home at the same time. The same. Time. Now, them coming home this early was weird in itself, because both his parents worked until about 9:30. But coming home this early together? Unheard of.

"Freya?" Called his parents.

Goddammit, his birth name? Really? They never see him anymore, it would be nice to be called by his fucking boy name when they do.

"It's Frank." He called back. Shit, his cigarettes where everywhere. He was even smoking one right now, shit.

As he scrambled for his cigarettes, his parents came into the room, clad white uniforms from their jobs.

"Aw, Freya, it's fine to be a little rebellious, I was like that too. Just don't go as far as making yourself a whole different person, okay?" She smiled. "Freya, we told you not to cut your hair."

"My name is Frank. My hair has been like this for like a week, mom. It's not even that short."

His father rolled his eyes. "Now Freya, if you cut your hair like that then people might actually think you're a boy. You're a girl."

Frank was getting angry. He rolled his eyes at his parents, sending them a glare. "My name is Frank." He said. "And if you don't start calling me by that name then we're gonna have a problem."

They all exchanged glances. "You listen here, young lady-"

"Young man." Interjected Frank.

"We raised you a girl, you're going to be a girl. You probably can't even do things that make you masculine yet, you're not very strong. Have you ever fought someone, Freya? Cut classes for girls? No, I don't think so."

Frank laughed, a small giggle that reverberated off the windows and walls of the house. "Bitch, of course I've fought someone. I broke someone's nose the other day." He wiped his sleeve over his left eye, where Lindsey had put makeup that morning to hide a black eye.

His father stared at him in horror. "Freya, no more of this rebellious bullshit. You're going to wear the girls' uniform to school tomorrow, and your mother is going to stay home to fix up your face with some lipstick. We have to do something to your hair too. It's too short for a girl." He spat out the last word, and it seemed to hit Frank right where it hurts the most.

Fuck these guys.

Fuck the school uniform and fuck these guys.

"No." He said. Then he pushed past his parents and ran upstairs and locked the door.

0000

It was 6:30 in the morning.

Frank was browsing on his laptop on Tumblr, replaying his parents' conversation on his head. They said not to cut his hair short.

I guess Frank is gonna cut his hair fucking short.

He ran to the bathroom and picked up his dad's razor, it was one for buzz cuts. It cuts off all your hair except for a thin layer, like peach fuzz. He shaved his sides a some of the back, leaving a mohawk in the middle. He looked more masculine now, and to finish it off he swiped all his hair towards his front. It covered one eye and he looked badass. What else could he do to piss off his parents? There was a box of hair bleach. He could use that. He bleached the sides of his hair yellow, washing it off and looking in the mirror with a smile.

He pranced back into his room, donning a suit he bought on impulse a few weeks ago. Black pants, a white long sleeve and a red tie. He could go to school in this, he thought with a chuckle.

He walked downstairs in his outfit and newly cut hair, laughing at his parents' surprised faces.

"F-Freya! What the hell do you think you're doing?" His father yelled. "No daughter of mine will wear that - that fucking outfit to school!"

His mother's eyes widened at the sight of his hair. Aww, look at her, she looks so fucking surprised! "Freya, your hair!" She cried.

"My name is Frank." He said calmly. "I am a boy. I am in high school. Those are the facts. My name is Frank Iero and I will never change myself to be someone I'm not."

He smiled and walked out of his house.

0000

When the sun started to rise he was sitting on the roof of his high school. It was a high building, and Frank wanted to fucking jump off this motherfucker. But he couldn't.

The sky was turning light, with streaks of pink and orange. It looks like something that Gerard would try to paint. Fucking hell.

Gerard.

Where is he? He should've been here a few minutes ago, Frank was just texting him.

Frank was just-

Shit.

Was that -

Was that Bob? And- Edgar?

Oh, shit.

They had Gerard.