Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Jamie

            We walked down the stairs into a huge room. Lily’s jaw dropped and Zach looked around stunned. The safe house was the size of a stadium, with solid titanium walls lined with iron and silver. One section appeared to be an infirmary, with hospital beds and state-of-the-art emergency equipment. Next to the infirmary was a kitchen area. The counters were black granite and all the appliances were solid steel. Across from the kitchen were beds lined up against the wall. I saw Lily frown as we looked around. I knew she was thinking something along the lines of ‘Seriously, everything even the beds are in the same room?’ There was a door set into the wall in between two of the beds that I assumed was a bathroom. The fourth section of the giant room was an arsenal. The weapons were locked behind cages made with the usual mixture of iron, titanium and silver. A keypad was set in the wall along with a handprint scanner. Paths made of obsidian and lined in gold divided the sections.

We walked over to where Sasha was checking the contents of the fridge. She shut the door with a satisfied thud then opened the fridge next to it. This one was filled with blood bags and I watched her eyes flash red before she shut it with a deep breath. The clock above the oven read 11:30 and we agreed to settle in then have lunch at noon. As we walked back to the beds, I could feel the visions fighting to be seen. So much had happened here, so much needed to be known. I considered letting it in, but Lily grabbed my hand and gave me a pleading look. I fought them back until they were little more than buzzing whispers.

As much as I wanted to see what my visions would show me, I knew I couldn’t. It was too dangerous. I watched Lily pick a bed and argue with Zach about who got bathroom rights first. It was too dangerous for everyone. I sat on the bed next to Lily’s and lay down. I never realized how tiring driving was. I’m sure no one would mind me taking a nap.

“I need a medic now!” A man in a torn uniform yelled as he ran through the safe house, carrying a young man, only a year into adulthood, in his arms. The room was in chaos, people running everywhere screaming. The infirmary was filled with patients brutally mauled and doctors doing their best to save who they could. An explosion shook the warehouse, followed by an animalistic scream.

“Damn it! Where’s that back up? Sam, call Travis and ask where the hell they are! We can’t take much more of this.” The man carrying the dying soldier yelled at a teenage girl who scurried off.

“Come on Pete, try to stay awake. We’ll fix you up in no time. I need a medic NOW!” An exhausted, blood-soaked woman in black scrubs ran over and told him to lay the man on the floor. All the beds were taken, as was most of the floor for that matter. She removed his shredded jacket and the remains of the shirt below it. 5 long gashes ran across his chest, blood spurting out in a macabre fountain.

“He’s losing blood fast. We don’t have any more blood for a transfusion. I don’t think we can save him, sir.” The doctor looked like she was on the verge of collapsing from stress and pain. Tears ran down her face as she turned to the man crouching next to Vic.

“Take my blood.” He didn’t look up at her as he said it.

“But sir, you will be too weak after-”

“I don’t care! Save him!” The girl nodded and retrieved a machine with two IV tubes sticking out of a complex box with buttons and dials all over it. The man pulled up his sleeve and she carefully put the catheter in his arm, then put the other one into Pete’s. She took a steadying breath before turning on the machine. A loud whirring sound ensured and blood started flowing from the man’s to Pete after passing through the machine. She had started to sew up the gashes on his chest and was frantically telling him to try and stay awake.

Another scream sounded from the door, but the girl didn’t even look up from her task. All around them, similar scenes were happening, all the patients surrounded by crying people and exhausted medics.

“Is he going to make it Jess? Tell me the truth.” The man’s voice was strained as he watched the doctor finish stitching the last gash. She stopped and stared at her bloody hands before letting out a resigned sigh.

“I don’t know sir. I truly don’t know.” They stayed in silence for a moment before a deafening explosion occurred at the other end of the safe house. The door that lead to the sublevel had been blown off the hinges and everyone fell silent as they watched the gaping hole in horror. A man walked through the debris, his suit impeccable and his shoes shined to perfection. His white hair was slicked back and his unique purple eyes peered around the room with a predatory gleam. He smiled, his fangs extended as he licked his lips. Behind him, shadows moved, coming forward out of the darkness to expose themselves. I shuddered as dozens of blood-soaked vampires lined up behind the man in the suit. Their eyes were all blazing red and they were all growling anxiously as they waited.

“General Nathan Venator, I believe we need to talk.” His voice was smooth, enchanting. It sounds like my voice I thought in disbelief. The man who was giving his blood to Pete stood up, careful not to pull out the IV.

“Ethan, what do you want? What more could you possibly want from us?” His voice was hard despite the desperate look in his eyes. Ethan laughed, the sound like tinkling chimes in a breeze.

“Oh Nathan, you know exactly what I want. Now, will you hand it over or will I have to kill everyone here and take it myself?” Nathan pulled out a small vial. It was filled to the top with a golden liquid and Ethan’s eyes zeroed in on it. The girl from before, Sam, crept towards Nathan, but Ethan was too distracted to notice her.

“I see you are making the wise choice General. Now hand it over.” With a burst of speed, Sam grabbed it from Nathan, ignoring his shout to stop as she uncorked it and with a deep breath, chugged the whole thing. The animalistic scream from before echoed throughout the large room as Ethan watched the girl drink what he had been trying to obtain for two decades. The vampires flooded forwards and it was a massacre as they took out their master’s rage on the survivors. The General stared at the girl who was staring defiantly at the screaming vampire who was making his way through the crowd towards her.

“Why Sam? Why would you curse yourself?” His voice was broken as he stared at her helplessly.

“I’m not cursed yet.” With a devious grin, she turned and disappeared into the crowd, leaving behind the enraged vampire. Pete started to groan and Nathan turned his attention to his only remaining son.

“Jamie, wake up now!” I opened my eyes, frowning at the bright light. I looked around, half expecting to see the bloody chaos I had just seen, but the room was as immaculate and empty as when we had first arrived. Lily looked to be on the verge of tears and she was squeezing my hand so hard I thought it would break. I was surrounded by a silver glow and I knew that my eyes looked like mirrors.

“Jamie, what were you thinking? You know how dangerous it is for you to have visions.” Her voice quivered as she peered into my eyes.

“I was tired. I needed to sleep.” I made sure to whisper so that the others couldn’t hear me. Sasha froze for a moment then went back to whatever she was cooking. Zachariah was watching her in confusion. Neither one of them seemed to notice us. Lily hugged me and I gave her an apologetic smile.

“Just promise me that you won’t go to sleep again without me, ok?” I nodded and she hugged me again then told me that we were going to have lunch in a few moments. She gave me one last worried look then walked over to the others. I sighed and stood up. I loved Lily and I would do anything for her, but sometimes I just wish she wasn’t so scared of my powers. I knew what could happen, I knew the consequence if I lost control. But I wouldn’t. I was stronger now than I had ever been and I had more control of my powers. Tonight. I decided. Tonight I’ll find out what happened here. I’ll find out the whole story and then she’ll see how much stronger I am.