1

"Melanie? Are you home?" my roommate Kacy asked as I walked through the front door of our apartment.

"Yep, it's me!" I raised my voice so she could hear me. I threw off the snow covered, long, burgundy coat I had on and slipped off my black boots leaving myself in my dark blue polka dot tights, a black skirt, and a navy blue top. Winters in Gotham can be so cold sometimes. Kacy walked into the room to see me fiddling with my outfit and brushing the flurries out of my hair.

"It's really coming down out there, isn't it?" she asked, brushing the now melted snow off of my face.

"You have no idea. Driving to work every day in these conditions is complete anarchy," I complained, sinking into the couch across the room. I turned on the TV and flipped through the channels until I got to the news. Something about the Joker escaping again. Why don't they just kill the man already. They've gotta be keeping him alive for a reason. I guess we'll never know.

"Aye, Mel, you're zoning on the news again," Kacy said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"It's the goddamn Joker again. Why won't they report something else? He's not the only criminal in the fucking world. I even consider Batman a criminal for not killing the man already. It's getting so repetitive like a movie trope that just won't die!" I babbled.

"Whoa, just calm down there. Yeah he's everywhere but he's still a psycho. People need to know when he's at large. Maybe just stop watching the news," she chuckled. I huffed and shut off the television. I heard gunshots outside and saw a man in a purple coat with green hair. He didn't even have the decency to wear a shirt underneath. All of his tattoos were exposed. I personally found them unoriginal and strange. They didn't have much of a meaning. 'Hahahahahaha'? Seriously?

"Son of a..." I mumbled. Behind him was a girl with platinum hair that was dyed blue and pink at the ends. She carried a baseball bat and wore a jacket that said 'Property of Joker' on the back. In smaller writing it wrote 'Established since 4ever'. Such a strange girl. Why would she want to follow him? I didn't know her formal name but I've heard some call her Harley Quinn. A play on words of the jester Harlequin. I found it amusing.

"Keep your head down! If they see you, they'll kill you!" Kacy whispered bringing my head down to the floor.

"You gotta give him some credit. He doesn't just go killing random civilians. He's too smart for that. The Joker has a goal, Kacy. He's not going to kill us. Not unless we get in his way."

"You don't know that! He's a psycho! Mentally unstable! Wacko! Demented! Should I go on?" I could tell she was terrified of him. That asshole didn't scare me one bit. He just intrigued me slightly.

"I'm gonna go make some noodles," I rolled my eyes getting up off the floor. A knife flew through the window nearly scraping my ear and it was barely staying in the drywall. I looked over at Kacy and she was huddled in the corner, shaking with fear. I grabbed the knife out of the wall and cautiously made my way towards the broken window.

"Boo!"

<><><><>

A/N

Hello lovelies! Thank you for reading this story ^.^

This is my first story on this account (Don't ask for the others, it's not going to happen) and I've been working on this for a little while. I currently have a few more pages in the works that will be uploaded in a 'whenever I can' fashion. School is starting soon and my week is packed! My sister is moving in to her dorm room and there's just so much that needs to be done in such little time. Hope you all understand!

Thanks again for reading this story! All votes, comments, and shares are appreciated (unless you're being extremely negative and not at all constructive then just get out. The door looks like an 'x' or back button. Just get out of here rn please. K thanks).

-Berry x