11

"Holy shit," I stood in awe. Did Jack know that Bruce Wayne was Batman?

"Might as well tell you. I have a feeling that whoever blew up my apartment is going to come looking for someone. If they found you, Vanessa would have no one to protect her, now would she?" he chuckled. I smiled nervously. My phone buzzed again.

You'd better be alive.

I gulped. "Vanessa saw the explosion. She's really worried about me."

"Tell her you're safe. The Joker is parked in front of the building," Bruce was looking at cameras outside of the building and saw Jack's car.

"Then I have to go get her!" I was trying my best to get the hell out of here, but Bruce wasn't having any of it.

"Tell her to run as far as she can. I'm not going to let you get hurt," I took a deep breath and texted Jack

He won't let me leave until you're gone

"I told her. Hopefully, she'll listen," I sat down on one of the chairs, fixed my wig, and managed to snap a few pictures of the place while Bruce wasn't looking. He sighed a few minutes later.

"I think the coast is clear. I refuse to let you leave unless I can take you home. I really don't want you walking home. Especially not in those heels," he chuckled.

"Alright. I agree with that knowing The Joker is on the loose," it felt so strange to call Jack 'The Joker'. It didn't roll off of my tongue well. Jack is just so much better in my opinion.

"You won't tell anyone about this little secret, will you?" he chuckled.

"Of course not," I smiled. Except for Jack. Man if only this guy knew I was playing him. I guess I'm a better liar than I thought. Bruce drove me back to my old apartment and I thanked him for his time. I walked inside and saw Kacy on the couch. She looked up at me and looked back at the television.

"Let me guess, you blew up Bruce Wayne's mansion?" she huffed.

"I wasn't the one with the detonator," I took the wig off and slipped the heels off too.

"You do realize three people died right? You killed three people, Melanie. Something is seriously wrong with you. Until you fix whatever he did to you, I want you out of here."

"I'm just here to grab some clothes, but can I wager with you? I'll still pay for my half of the rent as long as you promise that I can always come here if I need to," Kacy looked back at the television, not saying a word. I walked into my old room and started packing some things up. I also managed to change into more comfortable clothes. I grabbed some of the suitcases and texted Jack that I managed to get out of the mansion and not blow my cover.

I'm sending Jonny to pick you up

I put my phone away and waited until Jonny pulled up. I packed my suitcases into the trunk of the car and hopped in the passenger's seat.

"You really worried Mister J. You're lucky to be alive, Melanie," Jonny claimed, trying to make small talk.

"Well, Jack's gonna love the dirt I got on Wayne. He might even forget that I was ever in danger," I chuckled. "Is there a specific reason he wanted to blow up that place?"

"I think he just wanted to mess with the rich. I think Harley grabbed a hundred thousand dollars on the way out. That may beat your dirt any day," Jonny teased. We arrived back at home and he helped me unload some of my things. I walked through the door and smelled the familiar scent of gunpowder and metal. I put my bags in my room and Jack was standing in the doorway looking angrier than usual.

"Before you say anything, I got a few things to show you," I smirked, knowing he might freak out.

"I don't even want to hear it, Melanie. You completely put the mission in jeopardy. Distracting Bruce does not mean running off with him to the bedroom," Jack had jealousy plastered all over his face.

"One, we didn't run off to the bedroom, we ran off to the Batcave. Two, you told-"

"Batcave?" Jack asked in confusion. I smirked, feeling a bit cocky and pulled out my phone.

"I was gonna tell you but you got all jealous," I was extremely amused right now. I showed him the pictures I took and one of them clearly had Bruce's face in it.

"I was not jealous. I was concerned you were going to be mesmerized by him, especially now that we know he's Batman," a devilish smile crept up on Jack's face as soon as he comprehended what he was saying. Jack kissed me and I was caught completely off guard. When he pulled away, I think he saw my burning face. Jack laughed and grabbed my wrist, pulling me into the other room. "Everyone, down here, now!" he yelled. Everyone was down in seconds. "Our new and improved Melanie Miller has found Batman's true identity! You could all learn a thing or two from her!" suddenly my cockiness was starting to fade and all I could think of was that kiss. Did I really want to get involved with Jack like that? Harley fell head over heels for him and look what he does to her now.

"Did we all forget that 'Miss Amazing' over here almost got herself killed because she couldn't keep her hands off of Bruce?" Harley looked at me and glared. If looks could kill, I'd be long gone.

"You see, Harlequin, that's the kicker. I tried my best to get away from Bruce, but he wasn't having it. He was clearly interested in me. Before I knew it, the building blew up and Bruce brought me into a secret room. Y'know what that secret room was? The Batcave! That's right folks, I totally almost died when I was in the presence of 'Mr. Kills Nobody'!" I chuckled as Harley's face went red with embarrassment.

"You forgot to wipe off the rest of your lipstick," Harley muttered. She ran back to her room as I blushed slightly. I heard Jack chuckle behind me.

"Get working on making a deal with someone who can make a tracking device. We're going to need it," I barked orders at the goons and walked back to my room to wipe off Jack's lipstick and the rest of my makeup. I unpacked everything and fell asleep, hoping I wasn't the only one thinking about our kiss.

<><><><>

Hello, lovelies!

I am so so so so so so so so sooooooo sorry for the late update. I've been swamped with tests and exams and essays that I just totally forgot. I made this chapter a bit long to make up for it.

Thanks again for reading this story! All votes, comments, and shares are appreciated (unless you're being extremely negative and not at all constructive then just get out. The door looks like an 'x' or back button. Just get out of here rn please. K thanks).

-Berry x