Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist

Chapter 2

The next day Roy silently walked into his bedroom. The night before he had carried Ed up a flight of stairs only to remember that he only had one bedroom in his house. Well, there was his study, but the place was so messy that he wouldn't be surprised if he found mushrooms growing in the cracks between the floorboards. So the only option was to let Ed get his bed. His own bed. Roy as forced to sleep on the couch and that wasn't a very pleasant experience.

He walked over to Ed and looked down at him. The blond was still sound asleep, wrapped in two blankets, and mumbling nonsense under his breath. Roy gently placed his hand on Ed's forehead. It felt significantly cooler than last night, but it was still warm. Maybe a few more days at most he would have to look after Ed. As he made his way out of the room he heard a small voice whisper his name. Roy turned around and found Ed sitting up in the bed, staring in his direction.

Roy sighed and walked over, gently pushing Ed back down. "You're suppose to be sleeping."

Ed coughed. "'M not tired. And I'm sick of lyin' around in bed."

"You've been lying in bed for, what, A day? I think you can suck it up for another hour." Hopefully the brat would listen now.

Ed breathed out a small breath. Roy tried to head out of the room again but he felt a tugging on his wrist. Turning around, he saw Ed staring up at him with large, golden, owl-like eyes.

"What is it, Ed?" Roy asked. Ed would never do what he just did. Never. It was against the pipsqueaks code of conduct.

"I." Ed pried his eyes away from Roy as if he was embarrassed. But it was hard to tell because his cheeks were already flushed. "I don't want to be left alone." He whispered what he said but Roy could still hear it in the silent room. Ed didn't want to be left alone? Why not?

"But I have to go. And you need to get rest," Roy insisted, but Ed shook his head.

"I can rest downstairs. It's too stuffy in here and opening a window would make it cold."

Roy could tell that Ed was lying. There was just no way he'd want to be downstairs with Roy when he was able to be far away from him in a comfortable bed. But the look in Ed's eyes, it was fear. Ed was scared, truly scared of something. Roy sighed and reluctantly agreed to let Ed come downstairs but only if he was going to rest and not bother him.

Ed rose out of the bed but was very unsteady on his feet. Roy had to hold him upright as he draped a thin blanket over Ed's shoulders and guided him across the room. Ed didn't complain that he was so close to Roy, in fact, he seemed to be walking closer than he needed to.

By the time they got down stairs Ed was clearly tired. Being sick and walking down a flight of stairs wasn't pleasant. The blond gratefully collapsed onto the couch and sighed with relief that he was finally sitting down.

Once he made sure Ed wasn't going anywhere, Roy walked into the kitchen and pulled the thermometer out of the bag Hawkeye had given him. Better just check to see how bad Ed's fever was. He walked back into the room to find Ed lying flat on his stomach and watching Roy with curious eyes.

"Open your mouth," Roy ordered when he was sitting beside the couch. Ed only gave him confused look. "I said open your mouth. Now."

This time Ed obeyed and was greatly surprised when Roy stuffed the thermometer into it. "Hey, what gives?" He mumbled around the glass.

"Shut your mouth." Roy stared Ed down, causing the blond to shrink lower as if he was scared of Roy. About a minute passed before Roy took the thermometer out and gave it a quick glance. "You're fevers still pretty high. Are you feeling alright?"