Chapter 12

Disclaimer: I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist

Chapter 12

Roy sat impatiently in the waiting room of the hospital. He rushed over as soon as he got the call and had arrived in record time. Although, he did speed a little. He was just glad he wasn't caught. Ed was currently sleeping on his lap, his head tucked onto Roy's neck. Roy realized then just how cold Ed was.

"Roy Mustang," a voice said to him. "I'm glad you got here so soon."

Rooy looked up and found Dr. Colbert standing about a foot away.

Roy rose to his feet, earning a moan from Ed as he was moved without warning him first. The doctor seemed alerted by the pathetic sound and quickly ushered Roy into his office. He told Roy to put Ed down in a chair, which he did. Ed didn't seem to like it becuase he refused to let go of Roy's arm.

"Ed, you have to let go," Roy urged.

"N-no!" Ed shouted. "H-he's g-gonna hurt me." He truly sounded terrified.

"He's not going to hurt you," Roy softly reassurred.

"You-you p-promise?" Ed asked.

"I promise."

Ed let go of Roy's hand, a bit reluctantly, and leaned back in the chair. The doctor walked towards Roy and said in a hushed voice, "I think we should discuss this else where. I don't want Ed overhearing. I'll get a nurse to watch him."

Roy nodded and waited for Dr. Colbert to fetch a nurse. When he came back, he was accompanyed by a young nurse, who, after much coaxing, managed to take Ed out of the room. The doctor turned back to Roy.

"I got the results back from the blood test," he began. "It apears that the medication is no longer working. I would up the dose but if I do it'll be sure to have negative effects on his body."

"Are you saying Ed's going to die?" Roy had to get that out of his system. It was worrying him sick.

"No. I'm just saying that he's going to experience much worse effects of the illness than before. I doubt that he'll be able to stand on his own." The doctor grabbed a sheet of paper from the clip board he was holding and handed it to Roy. "This is a list of most of the things Ed will be unable to do himself. You'll have to help him. He'll require constant supervision in case anything happens."

Roy looked down at the paper and saw a list quickly written with pen. He noticed that the list was long. He'd really have to help Ed now. Alphonse would have to help as well. "Alright. Thanks. I'll be sure to follow this."

"That's great." the doctor glanced at his clip board again and then back up at Roy. "I'm also going to take him off his medication. He may experience withdrawal but I'm guessing he's been different for the past few days. Since the medicine hasn't been working at all he may have been feeling a little different. I want you to give him half the dosage of medicine you usually give him for one week and then half of that the following week. After that he doesn't have to take it anymore."

Roy nodded. "Ed will be happy to hear that."

"Well, that's about it. You may leave. I'll grab Ed for you." The doctor left the room and Roy followed him. He found the nurse sitting in one of the chairs in the waiting room, a sleeping Ed curled up next to her, his head on her shoulder and his hand loosely gripping the sleeve of her shirt. Roy walked over and shook Ed gently on the shoulder.

"Hey, Ed," he whispered.

"Mmm," Ed moaned.

"Wake up. We're leaving."