Chapter 17

Roy was right. Ed didn't have nightmare but a dream. A real, right, colorful dream that made him smile as he woke up. He was back in Resembool, sitting by the river when Roy walked over and sat beside him. After that, the two of them watched the sun set beyond the mountains. Ed woke up right after darkness enveloped the land.

He smiled softly to himself, a kind smile. Roy was still sitting in the armchair, his face in a book. As he turned the page he noticed Ed staring at him. He set the book down soundlessly on the table and smiled a Ed.

"How was your sleep?" He asked.

"Great," Ed replied. "You're right. I had a great dream."

"I'm glad."

BANG!

BANG!

BANG!

Ed fell off the couch and landed onto the floor with a thump. His head smacked the ground and stars danced in front of him. An instant headache came to exist.

"Damn it. Who the hell decided to knock on the door?" Roy got to his feet and stormed to the door. There was a loud commotion there before the door was shut and Roy, accompanied by another person, walked into the room. Ed was more than shocked to find who was standing there.

He couldn't form any words. He could only look into those golden eyes, eyes like his; eyes that he never wanted to see again.

"H-hohenheim."

"Edward."

His so called 'father' stared down at him. "It's been a while."

Ed, still in too much of a shock, didn't know what to say. He couldn't be there. There was just no way. He left all those years ago and decided to show up at a time like this. Why? Why now of all times? Roy, ignorant to the tension rising in the air, stood a bit behind Hohenheim, a blank look on his face.

Ed could feel his blood rushing in his veins at the thought of what he'd wanted to do for years but has never had the chance. And in a split second, Ed had launched himself off the floor and straight at the bastard before him. His fist collided with the man's stomach, sending him stumbling back a few feet. Roy took action and rushed over to Ed, holding him back before he could do any more.

"Let go of me!" He shouted, struggling against Roy's grip. "He deserves it!"

"Calm down, Ed," Roy ordered. "The doctor said you can't push yourself."

"I don't care!" Ed yelled.

"Damn it, Fullmetal." Roy dragged Ed, kicking and screaming, away from Hohenheim and pushed him down onto the couch. "You're not going to do anything. So just sit the hell down."

"You can't make me!"

"Wanna bet." Roy fixed Ed with his hard eyes. There was a immoral gleam in them that was enough to make Ed cower in fear. "I guess not. Now, just sit there so I can get to the bottom of this." Roy turned and pointed at Hohenheim. "You're welcome in."

Hohenheim nodded his thanks and made his way over to Roy who stood between Ed and the other blond just in case the boy decided to attack again.

"Why have you come here," Roy demanded with his back to Ed.

"I wanted to see my son," Hohenheim said with little emotion in his voice. "I heard he wasn't well and I wanted to make sure he was doing alright."

Ed grit his teeth. "You didn't make sure mom was alright when she got sick, did you?!"

Hohenheim ignored the outburst from the boy and instead turned to Roy. "I expect you're watching over him." When Roy nodded he bowed slightly. "Thank you for taking care of my son."