Chapter 4

Disclaimer: I don't own Fullmetal Alchemist

Chapter 4

A shower, shave, and fresh pair of clothes later Roy was ready to leave. A bag was slung over his shoulder that contained not only the things he would need but stuff for Ed. Mints and ginger ale were among them. Since there was a good chance he was going to be sick Roy wanted to be prepared. Ed was able to walk on his own now but it wasn't going to last long. Once the full effects of the medicine kicked in he was bound to throw up or his fever was going to spike to a high temperature.

"Come on." Roy turned and found Ed walking sluggishly forward. The medicine was beginning to take effect. Roy grabbed Ed's arm and pulled him forward a bit faster. There was no way he could be late for work.

The ride was anything but smooth. The traffic was terrible and Ed looked like he was going to be sick. Actually, he was going to be sick without a doubt. He was sitting in the passengers seat, leaning over the bucket that Roy had thankfully brought with him. His breathing was quick and Roy could tell he was trying to slow it but it wasn't working.

"Colonel, can you pull over for a sec?" Ed whispered, his head hovering over the bucket. "I'm kinda car sick. Gonna...be sick."

Roy did as Ed asked and pulled the car over to the side of the street, and he was glad he did because Ed gagged and vomited loudly into the bucket he held in his trembling hands. He struggled to hold it. Roy was only able to sit by and helplessly watch Ed painfully gag and puke into the bucket. Traffic sped by past them and Roy only had five minutes to make it to work. Then there was Ed, how could he just start driving when he was like that?

"Colo...nel," Ed gasped, his voice small. "I think I'm done."

Ed lifted his head up a bit, his eyes shut. Now the only problem was the puke. With no where to put it Roy reached over and tossed the bucket out of Ed's window into the green grass outside. Luckily he didn't miss his target. No car wash today! The car started back up and Roy continued driving down the street, every so often glancing at Ed to make sure he was alright.

He felt bad for Ed. The boy was barley even able to keep his eyes open as his forehead remained pressed against the glass of the window. He no doubt had a fever. It wasn't fair that Ed had to suffer like that. Yeah, he was a strong kid, but this. No one deserved to get sick like this and let alone get the exact same disease that killed his mother. It was just cruel. Just looking at Ed made his heart sink. The boy was barley even fourteen.

Roy pulled his car into the driveway of Central HQ and parked it in his designated spot before getting out of the car and walking over to Ed's door. The blond was finally sleeping, exhausted from throwing up. Roy managed to lift Ed in his arms and walk up the front steps of Central HQ without waking him. It wasn't until he was walking through the doors to his office that Ed began to stir and woke up slowly. By the time he was fully awake he was already spread out of the couch.

No matter how much he wanted to make sure Ed was feeling better he knew he had to get to work. With a sigh, Roy sat down behind his desk and began to fill out paperwork and signing papers. It was a boring job but one day he'll be the Fuhrer and could get other people to do all this useless work instead. He already had a list of military officers he would force to work extra hard; Hakuro, Gruman, the Major. He managed to work extra fast that day, and all so he could check on Ed before Hawkeye dropped another mountain on his desk.

When he looked up he found Hawkeye kneeling in front of the couch talking softly to Ed. Havoc stood a little ways behind her but still had a clear view of Ed. Roy tuned into their conversation.