The Missed Meeting

Chapter Nine

Everything...everything went back go normal.

I went to school the next day. Abi and I went to my house for homework and dinner. Dad did sit with us for dinner, and Abi asked him a few questions but kept them short, as were dad's answers short and snarky, of course. Soon Abi left and I went to bed.

It was weird... After telling Abi the truth I'd thought something would change. But nothing did. I guess I don't know how it could have. I still hated school. I still wasn't going to get a suit, no matter how hard I tried. I still didn't have a team, except for the spies that I'd never met.

It didn't seem like much...how would we save the world? Dad had two spies plus Bruce, Steve, Thor and himself. All I have are the two spies... I stared at the dark ceiling... I'll never be who I want to be...

With that cheery thought I rolled over and tried to fall asleep. The next day was Saturday, and Abi and I were going to hang out at her house-even though she argued saying her siblings were all staying home and so she had to watch them.

°÷•÷°÷•÷°

I opened the front door to Abi's and was immediately met by Mikey and Lissa, ages three and five-- the youngest in family. "Hey kiddos!" I said happily. They ran over and hugged me, looking at me expectantly. I laughed quietly, "Yes, I brought candy, but you can't have it until after lunch."

"Aaww!"

"Yeah yeah, I know, I'm so mean. Where's Abi?"

"In the kitchen."

"Thanks, babies." I kissed them each on the top of the head, and sent them off to play, then walked to the kitchen. "Hey Abs."

"Hey! I'm making lunch so just give me a minute."

"What are you making?"

"Grilled cheese."

"Alright, I can help with that." I walked over and buttered a few pieces of bread as she was making the one in a pan, then pre-making four and setting them on a plate, ready to go in the pan.

"Thank you," she said with a sigh.

"You okay?"

"Not really... My mom lost her fulltime job, so she's out looking for a new one. I'm trying to be strong for her, the three little ones don't even know. Ethan is starting to think he'll have to get a job too, because if I start helping pay bills it still wouldn't be enough. but he's only fifteen Toni, I don't want him to have to work yet... What am I supposed to do, Toni?" She turned to me with tears in her eyes.

I hugged her tight. "I'm so sorry your mom lost her job. And, you and Ethan don't have to pay for anything. Now that you know who I really am, and how much money my parents have, will you let me help you?"

"Toni I appreciate the offer..."

"But?"

"It would hurt my mom to take someone else's money. She doesn't want E and I to help, but we'd be able to convince her of that. I can't ask her to take your money."

"Just...let me know if you need help, okay? We could figure out a way to make it look like your money. Everything will be okay. I'm sure she'll find a job soon."

She nodded shakily.

"Hey is something burning?" Ethan asked walking into the kitchen.

Abi and I turned back to the stove and switched the sandwiches.