The Wake Up Scene

A/N my aunt was in a medically induced coma at the time of writing this 6 years ago, I had to hurry through this situation that had started months before her final hospital visits, or I thought I'd never write in this story again after she passed so, sorry for the quick fix to an ongoing problem

Chapter Seventeen

"Mom? Mom please wake up... Bruce said you'd wake up soon now... Where are you? Everything is good. You're healthy. You're breathing on your own! Wake up!"

I stood kicked a chair and left. Bruce left yesterday saying she looked fine. Her brain was back to normal size, but he kept her sedated for another two days before he left. He was watching for any side effects from the world drug he'd been creating that wasn't really supposed to be used for another ten years. I hadn't left the hospital since Bruce took me there four days before, but hell I was close.

I walked to the cafeteira and took a plate of whatever they were serving, I didn't care to check. I sat as a table alone and stared at the plate blindly before forcing myself to take a few bites. Tacos. Must be Tuesday then.

"Toni! Come quick! She's waking up!"

I saw dad in the doorway, jumped into the air, and ran towards mom's room.

She was coughing up a storm when I got there but her eyes were open. The breathing tube already removed.

"Mom?!" I ran to her and hugged her tight while she sat up as best she could and put her good arm around me.

"Toni?"

"I'm here, Dad's here. So is Bruce."

"Bruce?" Her eyebrows furrowed as she looked around the room. "Why? Where?"

Dad was at her other side. "You were in a car accident. But you're going to be okay."

"But Bruce? Why?"

I frowned. You're not supposed to over whelm people coming out of a coma right? Did I learn that somewhere or imagine it. "We can explain everything later, let's just sit here for a minute."

She nodded and leaned back into her pillow. Bruce walked around the room watching monitors and mom for a few hours. She started becoming more aware and more awake and she asked a lot of questions, that eventually looped around to the one everyone expects.

"How long..?"

"Two and a half weeks..."

She stared open mouthed. "I...I don't know what to say." She winced.

"What's wrong?" Dad and I said in unison with very concerned tones.

"No, no. I'm fine... It's just my neck."

"Lay back down," I said helping her. "You were out for a long time but recovery is going to be even longer. You'll need to take it slow."

A/N Now that I never have to look at this again the chapters might get longer again. Sorry guys...