Post Prom Bomb

Chapter Thirty-one

Dad had carried me to the ambulence outside that was patching people up who weren't badly injured, like lucky lil me. I sat on the curb while I waited for someone, all I needed was some gauze pads, and a tetnis shot. The worst I could tell of my injuries was a gash in my arm from the rusty old roof.

Dad was off talking--yelling--at some of the SHIELDies. But not the one I wanted to yell at. Nope he was free to walk up and sit beside me. I tried to discretely wipe my eyes by hiding my face in my hands for a minute.

"So. SHIELD agent." I stared at Kyle, the burning gymnasium turned his face into something wicked. Or maybe that was my mind. Gone was his blonde halo, now there was a crown of fire.

"Yeah.."

I nodded, and laughed harshly. "It was too perfect to meet someone as a Miller." And the tears were back.

He opened his mouth, but he stayed silent.

"That...isn't even your face, is it? Don't you dare look at me like I'm crazy. I have spy freinds, Kyle. I know the technology exsists."

He nodded and blinked slowly, three times. And his face changed.

Another laugh left my lips, but it didn't sound like me any more. "I must be an idiot too. Kuznetsov. From the file. Russian, three years older than me, parents deceased, experimented on by your foster daddy."

"Yes."

"Oh, you're engaged too. Nice."

"It's part of our job. She understands. We take orders, Toni."

"And if we'd slept together? What then? I'm technically a minor, Kyle, my dad would have fried you if he found out. What if prom went well and we ended up back at your place tonight?"

"My 'room mate' was supposed to interrupt us. It was supposed to be easier to avoid. I'd been told you were a virgin."

"Well, at least Fury doesn't know everything about me."

"I was here to protect you, Toni."

"I know... thanks for pushing me out of the way in there, I guess. Why were they here? SHIELD has to know something."

"We--I didn't know anything would happen this soon."

"You didn't answer."

"Because I can't."

I nodded. "You're leaving tonight, I assume?"

"My cover is blown, and if it wasn't completely, you wouldn't act to save your life."

"Because I don't need to lie to save my life."

"Except you have, Miller."

"Ouch."

He shook his head. "If you need anything leave a message at the phone number in the file. I check it every few weeks, don't use it for emergencies."

"Sure... Well, we're both real now, right?"

"Toni... No. You know my name. But there's nothing real about the Kyle you knew. I'm not him. I'm sorry, but it's probably better you found out now." He stood.

Ouch... I didn't try to hide my tears after that. "Do me a favor, and make sure it's Justin Walker I'm talking to, and not some SHIELD asshole who wants to mess with my head."

"I d--" He sighed, then nodded, "I'll be in touch."

I watched him disappear into the crowd, "Well, at least that comment makes sense now."

A paramedic knelt beside me, "Are all your injuries visible?"

"Do you count metaphorical damage to the heart as an injury...? Probably not... No it's mostly this, and I don't think I'm up on my tetnis shot."

"Proms ends in broken hearts anyways."

I laughed harshly, "Yeah, yeah, I guess I still get my normal life then."