The Traitor and Enemies (There's a Difference)

Chapter Thirty

I fumbled around on the ground, looking for Kyle, screaming for Kyle. He tackled me to the ground, but then he vanished. I couldn't hear my own voice let alone his if he'd said something back. The ceiling was falling in, dust and insulation made it almost impossible to see.

What I did see was blood on my hands, never a good sign.

"Toni? Toni!"

That voice was close, but it wasn't Kyle. It wasn't anyone who should be at--ear piece, "Dad?"

"Thank God..I'm on my way. Your suit is in the trunk, should be getting to you now, I need you to stand up."

On cue, my suit flew through the opening in the ceiling. I stood with shaking legs.

"Be careful, I'm almost there."

The suit didn't clear my line of sight, but it had an infared vision. There were people laying close to me. "Oh, my God...Jarvis, are they all still alive?"

"No fatalities, but these few were struck badly with falling debry, they," a few people blinked on my screen, "will need the first medical attention."

"Thank you." Okay, Stark, be a Stark. Cry about it later. My breath shook but I lifted two of the injured with help from my suit and brought them outside for first responders to tend to as soon as they arrived.

After that was done, panic set in for my friends. But it had to wait, the guys who'd crashed the party were obviosly looking for me. And they were beating their way through the crowd to find me.

I flew a little higher to be seen better. "Hey, dumbshits, maybe look for a metal suit? No?"

They raised guns, the bullets would ricochet off of my suit. Not good for prom goers. I raised my blasters faster, and three of them flew back into the wall, at least unconscious at most dead. Again, cry about that later. I flew toward the remaining and kicked one in the chest.

My head jerked to look at the, now visible, sky. Dad's suit was getting closer and I knew things would be over quickly. But before even he could get there, more guys with guns burst in through the doors.

SHIELD, I recognized. They started taking out the last of the guys, and I landed, "Jarvis, Abi and Kyle? Got a read on them?"

Two sillouhets lit up, Abi was in the bathroom. Safe. Kyle was a different goddamn story. "Oh, you bastard."

I walked towards him and my face shield fell back. The SHIELD guys were cuffing people left and right. I pulled my arm back, ready to punch Kyle to next week.

"Toni, don't."

I smirked, "Fair is fair. Jarvis, hold the suit." I stepped out. "Fight me or dont, doesn't make a damn difference to me." I swung at him but he blocked. I elbowed him as he tried to dodge. My kick was where he had me. I shouldn't have trusted my legs yet, the suit had been the only thing keeping me up right.

Kyle kept me from falling, then restrained me like I was one of the shits who bombed prom. Well he didn't pull out his hand cuffs, at least.

"Bull shit," I spat. "How dare you?"

"It was my job, Toni."

It was my job, Toni. And just like that, all adrenaline drained from my body. "You fuckin' bastard." I wrenched my arms free and fell towards my dad.