chapter 2

I want to cordially thank all the people who read this story,voted and appreciated me.It really means a lot to me. It's not about the figures. The thing is,it feels so good when people actually read your work and sometimes, even like it.That's what keeps me going. Thanks again and happy reading...
Maryam Farooq
The next few days were very busy for Samantha.
Her parents took her for admission in the local school.
At first, Samantha felt nervous and confused.
But the uneasiness didnt last long because the children were supportive and nice. Samantha mixed up with her classmates.She became friends with a particularly nice and charming girl"Emma".
The teachers were also very kind and helpful.The general atmosphere of the school was warm and friendly, much like the town itself.
Samantha didnt have any difficulty in adjusting and she actually started to like her school.Why wouldn't she?She was ,in fact a studious and smart girl
The school term had started a month before Samantha joined. She had missed a lot of things.
So she had to work really hard to catch up with rest of the class.
Emma helped her a lot with studies.The teachers also cooperated.
She had been terribly busy and despite wanting to,she had not been able to visit kore. It really bothered her. All the time she had Kore at the back of her mind.
"It's been such a long time since I last saw Kore.But I can go tomorrow as it is Sarturday and I don't have school. Mom and dad would be out doing grocery.Yeah! I'll just slip out, meet Kore and be back before they come".Samantha planned enthusiastically.
Samantha woke up really early the next day. She climbed out of her bed, ran to the window and looked out. It was a beautiful sunny morning. The flowers bloomed and birds sang merry songs of spring.
"Perfectly perfect!"she thought and smiled.
It was about 10 AM when Samantha's parents left for the market. Samantha locked the gate.
She fetched a basket.Instead of taking a bowl,she decided to take a whole basket so as to make up for the absence. After filling the basket with red juicy strawberries from her garden, Samantha plucked a white rose and placed it on the berries."now,that's beautiful"she muttered and walked out of the gate to never enter again.
Samantha had only took a few steps, when she heard her name.
"Mom and dad are not here, who else can be calling me?Maybe it's any other 'Samantha'.Thinking this, she continued her walk but again she heard, "Wait,Samantha, stop."
This time Samantha turned around to find Emma was calling her.
"Why didn't you stop and where are you going by the way?I met your mom and dad on the way to your house. They said you'd be at home doing your homework. "
Samantha was really annoyed by Emma for the first time."Why did she have to come now?
"Well,I didn't stop because I didn't hear at first and when I thought I heard my name, I stopped. And yes mom and dad have gone to the market.I have done my homework so I can spend my leisure time however I please." Samantha couldn't stop herself from being rude.
Emma ,anyhow,didn't take any notice of her mood and replied "that's so cool because you know what I can't do those maths sums n I have tried like zillion times.You did your homework,now you can help me with mine. You must be really good at algebra."
Samantha tried best to conceal her disgust."good at algebra!man!I suck at algebra. She thought as she remembered how she had torn ten pages of her maths copybook after failing again and again at solving those sums."I'd copy it from Emma's on Monday" was what she had thought while putting the copybook book back in her bag and now Emma was asking to help her with that assignment.
"Come on Samantha, let's go n study, you are just standing here in the sun thinking about God knows What".
"Listen ,Emma I am sorry !but the thing is ,I have been working since morning n my head is spinning so I just need to go for a stroll, you know to freshen up a bit....If you don't mind, can you come tomorrow to do those 'sums'?'Samantha said in a very sweet tone.And this took hell of an effort on her part.
She wanted to reach Kore's place  as soon as possible and Emma was testing her patience.
"Not at all,I know it has been such a hectic week for you.Walk is a really good way to release the tension.I'll come with you."
Emma's cheerful tone made Samantha grind her teeth.
She quickly hid the frown and smiled.
"If I tell her I am going to Kore's she'll probably be scared an run away, but what if she tells everyone then I'll be in serious trouble".Samantha thought to herself and then she knew it was time to say it clearly.
"Please excuse me,I don't mean to be rude but I just wanna be alone for some time. "Samantha felt a bit guilty as she saw Emma's smile fade ,after all she was only being nice to Samantha.
"Sure.I'll see you tomorrow, Emma said quickly and abruptly turned around to go. Samantha stared at her back for a while. But then she went her own way.