Chapter 29

Gabe POV

Who am I? Am I doing what was destined for me or had I been led astray all my life..

A loud crackle of the campfire disturbed my thoughts as I focused on cooking the last fish. The fish's dark color confirmed that it had been overcooked. I sighed as I set the fish aside.

"Who am I?" I muttered to myself. No response except the birds chirping at the morning sun. "Nothing I guess..everyone shunned me anyways."

The haunting moments once again came rushing back to me. The calling of names, being pushed around, the taunting of how my parents disowned me, leaving me to the streets to rot. I hated everyone back then, but then someone made me seem precious, for a while I guess.

A yawn escaped my lips as I realized that I hadn't got much of a shut eye lately. Thinking about the horrifying past disturbed the sleep that I desperately needed. I poured water over the campfire as the last bits of firewood burned down.

Once the fire got put out, I covered the embers and ashes with soil and gathered the food. The berries I had collected earlier slipped from my hands and scattered in all directions on the ground. I gave an exasperated sigh as I set the fish aside on a rock and squatted down to pick up the berries. "Everything has to go wrong, doesn't it?" I grumbled.

"Not if you make it out to be like that.." A voice advised in the shadows. Footsteps soon followed.

I scoffed as I recognized the voice. "Why'd you follow me?" I questioned Teresa.

"I didn't, but when we woke up and realized that you were gone, I set out to look for you.." She started picking up the berries. "Why so down?" She sound concerned.

"You have no idea about what I've gone through. So just leave me alone.." I remarked as I started to walk away.

"Hold up." Teresa scurried over to my side. "The berries will only get squished if you carry them in your hands." She noted as she held out a whole pile of berries on a small piece of cloth.

I looked down at my hands full of berries, some had already been squished. My eyes darted over to Teresa as she smiled, her head tilted to one side, waiting for me to hand over the berries.

I gave a sigh of defeat as I placed the berries onto the cloth, which she tied it into a little ribbon at the top. "It wasn't that hard, was it..?" She patted my shoulder.

I ignored her comforting gesture as an awkward silence followed. Teresa sensed my uncomfortable state and managed to stay a safe distance away. "You don't have to tell me what's wrong but I'm here if you need anything." She reminded as she sat cross legged on the grass.

"I don't need any help.." I stressed but I know it didn't seem to be convincing.

"Listen, I heard you talking to yourself earlier.." Teresa confided. "And you don't have to tell your whole backstory even though I know it had something to do with the organization but-"

"I don't need your help.." I reckoned.

"Just let me finish." Teresa urged as she raised her voice. She immediately felt guilty about her outburst and breathed deeply. "I'm sorry."

I turned away shamefully. "No. I'll take the blame." I attempted to escape the conversation once more.

"You had Sphinx didn't you..to help you at your toughest times.." She said solemnly.