Make a Promise

"Her name is Kali Vossen. She's from a family of four, she has a little brother and two mothers. She lived in Brooklyn, in a poor part of town.  Her mother's names were Rose and Clarissa. Her brother's name was Robert.
   She had few friends, three at most. She graduated top of her class and went on to be in Med School. She looked like she could've been very successful."
 Nat read off the information she got. 
"Why would HYDRA want someone like her?" Steve asked, shaking his head.
"I wasn't done.
      She got in multiple fights and sent many people to the hospital. She got kicked out of Med School for those fights and went on to try and join the army. It didn't go too well and they refused to put her in. She went off in rage and disappeared that night. Her parents and brother went looking for her for three years, hoping she would come back, but-"
"She never did." Bucky finished for her. "And I thought they took me away from a lot."
   "They did, Buck."
"Yeah, but not as much as her. She had a whole future ahead of her."
Steve sighed, not wanting to waste his breath on putting some confidence in his friend.
 "Maybe we could talk to her family? Get some personal information to help us get her back?" Tony suggested, spinning in his chair.
  "That's a good idea, Tony. Nat and I will go and talk to them today."
"I hope you know  that only her brother is alive."
 "Then we'll talk to her brother. Is he still in Brooklyn?"
"Yep, he refuses to move until his sister gets back."
    Bucky's hands twitched at the mention. HYDRA took an older sister from a loyal brother who is still waiting for her. 
  "I want to talk to the brother," Bucky said, and all three of them looked to him.
"Bucky-"
  "HYDRA took her away from all of that, and I want to be the one who gets the information we can use to help. I need to do this. I have to."
  "Bucky, it's not a great idea. I know you want to help, but who knows what would happen to you when you find out more about what they took away from her. It's-It's safer for me and Nat to go. You stay here with Tony and try to think of a plan to find her." Steve explained, giving Bucky a pitiful look.
  Bucky wanted to protest, claim that he would be needed, but he knew Steve had a good point, so he let it slide this time. Bucky settled for crossing his arms and sighing, and sign that he was agreeing. 
  "Thank you, Bucky. Now, Nat we're going to need a car from S.H.E.I.L.D, can you get us one and meet me at the garage?"
Natasha opened her mouth and closed it again. She nodded and went off to find a car.

                                                                                    *****

"Hey, Steve?"
"Tony? Why are you calling me?"
"Well, Bucky and I found some information Natasha 'forgot' to tell us."
"Really? What is it?"
"You know how Kali is thirty-one?"
"Yeah..."
"Well, technically she's ninety-nine. It seem's she may have gone through the whole 'being frozen until needed' thing like Bucky."
"So...That means her brother will be around eighty years old."
"Exactly. Just thought that would be good to know before you meet him."
"Thank you, Tony."
Steve hung up before Tony could say anything back and pointed his gaze on Natasha.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
Natasha didn't look at him, they were already driving down a road in Brooklyn. 
 "I just thought you'd want to know later, and not when you were talking with Bucky."
"That wasn't the best idea, Nat. That was good information."
"I know, and I'm sorry."
The car was silent until they got to an old nursing home, the one the file said the parents were at before they died. 
  They got out of the car and walked up to the white front doors. Steve opened the door for Nat before walking in himself.
They walked up to the front desk, sending smiles to the receptionist.
"Hello, Ma'am."
"Why hello, how may I help you?" She asked, sending a sweet smile. 
"We were wondering if you had anyone under the name of Vossen here? A male?"
"Let me check, sweetheart." She said, typing away on her old computer.
Steve and Nat shared a look, before looking back to the receptionist.
 "So sorry, sweethearts. We used to have the two Vossen women in here, but their son never came in."
"...Oh. Well then, sorry to disturb you." Steve said, playing with his fingers as he began to walk away.
 Nat placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping him mid-stride.
"Miss...Do you know where we could find Mr.Vossen?" 
  "Yes, actually. He's at The Brooklyn Hospital, just down the road and to the right."
"Thank you."
 Nat pulled Steve out of the nursing home and straight to the car.

     The hospital was busy, and the two heroes had to shift their way through the crowd of people.
"Hello, we need to find someone." Nat said placing her arms on the counter. The receptionist looked at them through her framed glasses before pursing her lips.
  "Who do ya need?" She asked, her accent slipping through.
"We need to find a man named Robert Vossen. Or maybe he has another last name, in case he got married." Steve said, looking around the hospital.
 "Sure thing Captain. Give me a sec." She said, looking bored. She typed into her computer, then stared at it for a moment.
 "Room one one five, the third floor on your right." 
"Thank you."
 The pair took off for the stairs, not bothering with the elevator. Steve took two steps at a time, while Nat didn't even bother. 
 "One one one...One one three...One one five. Found it, Nat I found it." Steve said, stopping in front of a blue door. Steve raised his fist, ready to knock, when the door opened. A doctor stood inside his room, clipboard in his right hand, doorknob in his left.
  "Oh...Visiting hours are almost over, be quick." He said, stepping aside to let them both in. 
They thanked him and closed the door behind him. 
 Steve walked over to the side of his bed, while Nat stayed by the door.
"Robert?"
"...Who's asking?" He replied, shifting his head slowly to the side. His voice sounded tired and worn out, as if he were screaming.
   "Um, Steve Rogers, Sir."
"...I know you...You're older than I am."
  "I am. How are you?"
"...What?"
"Uh...How are you, Sir?"
"Oh...I'm just peachy."
  "Sir, if you don't mind me asking, but, Kali Vossen, was she your sister?"
Robert paused before answering, almost as if he had to think about it.
"Of course."
"Good...We were wondering if you would like to talk about her?"
"Why would I talk about my sister...To...To total strangers?"
"Because we are trying to find her."
"You are?...I'm ever so grateful...Everybody else has given up on her."
"But not you."
"Never. She's my sister, I don't care if she had a temper and left, she' my sister and I refuse t'let her go."
  "That's good, Sir. We just need to know about her. The files didn't contain enough information, and we were hoping you would be able to tell us what led her to fight, what led her to try and join the army."
Robert took a breath.
   "Alright...She was always strong minded and always stood up for her rights. I loved that about her, she knew what she wanted and she did whatever she could to get it. 
  She never cared for rankings, she would talk down to anyone who dared insult her. She always stood apart from everyone else, she had two friends. They were just like her...Except they lived a shorter life. When they died, she went out to find who killed them. They were just like family to her, the only ones who would deal with her sass and hot-headedness with their own. 
    She found them one night, it was the anniversary of their deaths, and she was more tempered than normal. She beat the living crap out of them, sending them to the exact hospital she worked at..."
  Robert trailed off, lost in his own mind.
"...Her superiors caught wind that she was the one who sent those men there, and she got kicked out. She fought back, claiming she had the best intentions and that they had no right to do that to her. They didn't care.
   I was the one to convince her to try out for the army. She had always had this thing with fighting and war. She loved it. 
   She also had a fascination with you and your friend...Barnes."
Steve's breath hitched.
  "Ever since she saw you stand up or yourself with a tin 'shield', she was fascinated. Obviously she never confronted you, that was one thing that got her nervous. And then when your friend came and saved you, telling you that he was in the 107...She could tell just how much he didn't want to go, she felt like she was another version of him. 
   With all this in mind, I convinced her to join the army. To talk to you both. I thought that, once you became Captain America, you would have advice for her, you and Barnes. But..."
  "She never got in." Steve finished. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding.
"Correct. She ran away in a rage. She really wanted to meet you both, she was hoping the same thing I was...That you could help her. She knew she was going down a dangerous path, but she couldn't seem to stop herself. 
   But since she never got to join the army, she never got to talk to you. So she ran. That used to be her way of coping, except she always came back. Until that night. She never came back...And I never forgave myself."
   There was an eerie silence as Robert was lost in memories. Steve looked over at Nat, who gave him a pitiful look. He felt like it was his fault, but he had no real reason to. 
  "Thank you..." Steve said.
"Find her for me...I want to see her before I die."
Steve swallowed and tried to regain his composer.
 "Of course. I promise i'll bring her back to you."