He kept the promise

He woke up in a cold sweat, but with no memory as to why.
 His hands were in fists, tangled with the bedsheets. 
He took deep breaths, as he and Steve practiced, and found himself calming down.
His eyes scanned his room, and he found a figure on his left. He jumped in bed, and he was ready to attack if needed.
 But so was the figure.
As soon as he jumped, so did it, but on top of him. The figure was fast, and strong, tackling him onto the ground. He grunted in light pain as the back of his head hit the wood floor.
 His wrists were pinned to his sides, and legs were straddling him.
"Who the hell are you?" He asked.
The figure was silent, but the grip on his hands was getting looser.
 "Tell me!"
"...Kali..."
 All the tension in his body disappeared at her name.
"Kali, what are you doing?"
"I...Don't know."
Slowly, Kali began getting off of him, and Bucky missed the heat she produced. Bucky stood up after her.
  "What were you doing in my room, Kali?" He asked, his voice now a hushed whisper.
He could see the movement of her shoulders in the dark.
 He sighed, but let it go.
"Alright, I guess since we are both up we could eat." He said, walking towards the door. Silently, Kali followed him.

  Breakfast was silent, no surprise.
It was only the two of them, after all, and Kali wouldn't talk.
 "I want to see my brother."
Bucky almost dropped his toast at that.
"You what?"
"My brother."
"I heard that, Kali. But are you sure? This is a big deal." Bucky didn't want to admit that he was nervous. What if it went wrong?
 Kali just nodded, her eyes looked unsure.
"I would have to talk to Steve-"
"No. Secretly."
 "Kali, we can't just-"
"I don't trust them."
 "What?"
She gave no answer. He had to be patient with her.
 "Do you trust me?" He was speaking slow now, not wanting to mess up his plan.
"Yes." Kali didn't hesitate in her answer, and now both people in the room were confused about that answer and how quickly it came out.
"Okay, well, I trust the others, and they need to know if you want to see your brother."
Kali sighed and looked down at her toast, it was almost not touched.  
 Her shoulders hunched over, and Bucky knew that he had got to her.
"Look, I know you don't trust them. At first, I didn't trust anyone other than Steve. But I've learned, and it takes time. We will ask Steve as soon as he's up. Okay?" 
 Bucky reached his hand across the table, only going half way. Kali looked up and saw his hands, his fingers curled in slightly. She slid her own hand the other half way, meeting his fingers lightly.
 "Okay."

  "Is she even ready? It seems too early for this."
"But she asked for this, she want's this. I can't change her mind, trust me."
 Steve sighed, his arms crossed and his head down.
"I dunno Buck, it all seems so...fast."
"You sound like she's your daughter going on her first date."
Steve couldn't help but give his friend an over-tired glare. Bucky raised his hands in surrender.
 "She's a big girl, Stevie. If it helps, someone could go with her."
"I guess we could do that."
Bucky's smile lite up his face as he clapped his best pal on the shoulder.
 "Let's go tell her the good news."

 "Bucky."
"I think it would be best if Nat or I go with you."
"Bucky."
Steve was done. 
 "Fine, fine. Bucky, you go with her."
The sides of Kali's mouth twitched slightly.
 "Alright, Kali, let's get in the car. Your brother awaits."

            *****

 Her hand was on the knob, frozen.
Was she ready?
  "Kali..."
She closed her eyes for a split second, taking a breath. 
Without another thought, she opened the door. 
 Her feet wouldn't move. There he was, an old man on a bed of white, yet she recognized him.
She was frozen in her spot. 
 Go! Move! Her brain was telling her what she should do, but her body wasn't moving. It refused.
A hand was placed on her shoulder. It was cold.
 "Kali, if you can't-"
Kali shook off the hand, and finally, her feet moved. She was next to her brother in a few shaky strides.
 She sat on one of the chairs and looked at his face.
His eyes were closed, his skin was pale and wrinkled, and he looked peaceful. 
 Bucky stood near the door, watching Kali silently.
Slowly, Kali placed a hand on her brothers. His skin was soft compared to hers.
 "Brother..." Her voice was soft, which surprised her. It was softer than she thought it would be.
The man stirred, and his eyes opened just a crack.
His eyes snapped open, and he jolted in bed.
 He opened his mouth to scream, but no sound came out.
Kali's eyes went wide as she went as far in her seat as she could. Bucky was by her side before she could blink.

 They both watched as Kali's brother tried to calm down, the both of them having no clue as to what to do.
 "Kali..?" Was all Robert managed, a strangled sounding of her name.
Kali nodded her head slowly.
 "But...How?" He pleaded, his eyes watering.
Kali shook her head, her mouth moving without sound.
 "You...I don't...How?"
They both looked like they had just been shot.
Bucky was in pain watching how much this hurt each other.
 Tears started to pour down Roberts face as he collapsed back in bed.

"Shh, shh, it's okay. It'll all be okay." Robert was wrapped in her arms, crying into her shoulder. She was rocking him gently as they sat on the ground, staring at the door their mothers just walked out of.
  She put her chin on his head and began stroking his arm softly.
"They will be alright, trust me."
She had no real idea if they would be okay, but she had to say something.
She knew exactly where her parents were going.
 They were going to jail. She knew that, and she knew why. Because this world was cruel to those they did not understand.
"Are they coming back?" Robert choked out, his body shaking. He was so young, too young to have seen this.
 "Yeah, yeah, they are. Promise."
She knew she shouldn't make promises she can't keep, but she had to. If it meant her brother would calm down, she would do it.

 She felt like she could cry. So much was happening all at once and she hated it.
Emotions she didn't want were rushing through her. 
A loud and slow beeping noise cut her out of her thoughts.
 She looked towards a box on a stick, and a saw a line slowly going up and down, and it was getting slower every second.
 "Oh, my god--no."
Kali didn't understand, she was looking between Bucky, her brother, and the beeping box in confusion. What was happening?
 Her brother still had tears pouring down his face as he extended his hand to her. Without thinking, she grabbed it.
"He...Kept...The promise."
 The beeping stopped, and the hold he had on her hand went limp. She was panicking.
"Bucky? Robert?"
Bucky was wide eyed and shaking his head. 
 What?
"Is he...?" Kali trailed off, not really wanting to hear it. Bucky nodded.
Kali felt herself slump back into her chair, and she heard the sound of a door slamming open and people running into the room.
 "Move! Get her out of here!" She felt two arms grab onto her shoulders and drag her out of the room. Her arm was still held out limply, pointing to her brother.
  He was gone, and she had just found him.

A/N: Hey guys!

Sorry for the hold on this story, but I had massive writers block for this. But now, I know what I want to do with this story, and it may end soon, depending on how I handle it.