chapter 29

Percy pov

I had packed my stuff the day the war ended, knowing that I wouldn't be able to stay in this place anymore.

I called a cab and left camp. I knew Leo was watching me as I left, but I didn't turn around. I climbed in the back of the cab and told the driver to get me away from here.

"I'll take you to Manhattan." He said "Okay?"

I nodded and he started driving. "Why were you up there anyway? There isn't anything up that hill." He looked at me through the mirror. He was an older man, in his late forties.

"I was with some friends." I told him.

"How old are you?"

"Why" I snap

"It's just... you look like that missing girl from Detroit." He said

"Who went missing in Detroit?" I asked him

"A seventeen year old girl. She was abused by her guardian and disappeared. They say she ran away, but I think she may have been kidnapped. Here in New York if a young girl like that went missing, there'd be no doubt that she was raped and killed. What do you think about it?"

"I think she probably ran away, but ended up dead in a ditch somewhere." I told him. "This isn't a world where kids should run around alone. There are too many bad things out there for runaway children."

"Yeah. Kids these days aren't ready for the world. They all wanna grow up, but they don't understand that there are taxes and money problems and jobs. They just think that there are no rules when they're older, when there are even more rules."

"Yeah." I agreed

"What did you say your name was?" He asked.

"I didnt my name is Holly, Holly Hamilton." I told him a name that i heard in a movie once. "I'm 19 by the way. You asked and I never answered you."

"We are almost at Manhattan, so where do you want me to drop you off?" He asked.

"A hotel please."

"Which one? There are a few around here." He said.

"The cheapest one." I bit my lip.

"Do you need a place to stay for the night, Holly?" He asked. "I'm sure my wife wouldn't mind you being there. You're about our oldest daughter's age, and she's off at college and her room is empty. You can sleep in there."

"That would be great, sir. Thank you so much."

"Oh, don't mention it. My shift ends in about an hour, so I'll just drop you off now and I'll call Katherine." He explained

"I'm sorry, what's your name?" I asked

"Oh. I'm Tom Joy. My wife is Katherine Grey-Joy. Our daughter is Yara Stone-Hunt and our son is Theon Grey-Joy." (AN see what I did there? I love myself and game of thrones) I nodded and he continued driving. After he called his wife, he brought us to a small house just outside of the city.