ch 36 & Epilogue

Neutral pov-

Sally and Esperanza were having coffee together. They didn't do this as much since Esperanza was married to a man named Nate and Sally was in a serious relationship. Neither of them had seen their family since last Thanksgiving. They didn't celebrate any religious holidays growing up, so they only got together around Thanksgiving.

Esperanza had gone to law school and had started work as a lawyer. Sally took a different route with her life. She looked toward a career in athletics. She had been training for the Olympics. She would be preforming in the gymnastics portion next summer.

They were both 32 now, meaning that their mother was 52 and their father was 54. Chuck, their younger brother, was 27 and had been working as Police officer. Luke was in college and sharing a rental house with some of his friends. He was the youngest in the house at 22 years old, while the roommates were all 23 and 24. Zoe, as she liked to be called as of recently, was 19 and taking a year before starting college. Jackson was a brilliant boy, but didn't try very hard with academics. As usual, Amber was the opposite. She tried her very hardest and studied as frequently as possible, but still had trouble. They were both 12.

"I feel like I haven't seen you in so long." Esperanza said.

"I know." Sally replied. "I miss seeing you every day. I even miss Charlie."

Both girls laughed. "I wish we could do this more often." Esperanza said

"Yeah, but I really can't. Between training and my responsibilities, I really have no time." Sally told her sister.

"Well, we should at least visit mom and dad at some point." Esperanza said.

"Maybe." Sally said. She looked at her watch. "I actually have to go."

"We just got here!"

"I'm meeting Ryan at his apartment and we are going to my gynecologist." Sally explained. Ryan was her boyfriend who she thought was going to propose. She had been saying that for two years.

"Okay then, leave." Esperanza was extremely disappointed. She never got to see her sister anymore and she felt kind of abandoned. Her best friend, the girl she shared a room with all her life, was leaving her.

"Look, I'm sorry. I really have to go. I'll call you?"

"I know you won't actually." Esperanza mumbled to herself.

"What?" Sally didn't hear her.

"Okay. I'll answer when you call." Esperanza grumbled bitterly. She always answered when Sally called and she tried to call Sally frequently. Sally never answered her phone and she almost never called.

Sally kissed her sister's cheek and left the cafe. Esperanza heard her sister's phone ring as she walked out.

About thirty seconds later, Sally rushed back in.

"Dad is in the hospital!" She said

-----

Chuck was working when he got a call from his mother. He answered.

"Ma, I can't really talk. I'm at work. Can I call you later?" Chuck was closer with his mother than his father. He was a total mama's boy growing up.

"Honey," she started and he knew something was wrong. "It's your dad. Something happened at work. You should come to the hospital."

"I'll be right there." He said,before hanging up.

Chuck sent a text to his boss and let him know that he had to leave work early. Chuck had never missed a day of work, so his boss was okay with it.