Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Aaaaaaaand... Done! I slammed my laptop shut when I finished the essay, munching on my cookie. The last of my homework was complete at last. I finally let my thoughts wander to Brett.

Brett. The annoying, cocky, flirty jerk who actually turned out to be kind of nice. The guy who barged into my life all of a sudden and subliminally declared our friendship. Well, might as well see where it goes.

~ ~ ~

I fluttered my eyes open and glanced at the clock. Right on time. I gently removed the covers off of my body and sat up. I stretched my arms out to rid my body of its sleepiness before lightly stepping onto the plush carpet.

Ha ha, NO. This is how it actually went.

I snapped open my eyes as the alarm blared next to my ears, startling me. I jumped up, still groggy and tangled in my sheets. In my struggle, I managed to near the edge of the bed. I squirmed some more, but only ended up falling, and tangled in cloth. My rear would have a bruise later from falling onto the wood floor.

Sighing, I untangled myself and made my bed. Heading to my en-suite bathroom, I completed my morning routine. Back in my closet, I chose a plain gray V-neck shirt, some overall shorts, and white converse. Like usual, I swept on some mascara and lip gloss. Then I braided my hair into a French braid that rested on my shoulder. I tried to tuck in my necklace, but my top was a V-neck, so I just let it be. Grabbing my backpack, I ran downstairs.

"Hey, Arch. I'm going to walk today, see you at home!" I yelled, grabbing an apple again.

"Okay, see ya!" he yelled back. I walked out the door and locked it. When I turned around, I saw a familiar silver car and a familiar smirking person in the driver's seat.

I walked to the car and climbed in. "Again?"

"Again," he confirmed. "I want to pick you up every day."

"Why are you so persistent on... befriending me?"

He thought for a moment. "I saw you in the halls a few times, and something about you was just... different, from everyone else. And then I was right there as you stood up to Vivian. I know that you have things bottled up inside you. I know what that feels like."

I was utterly and completely taken aback. "You've known me for one day!" I said dumbly.

"Yeah, and in that one day I was able to learn that you are someone worth spending time with." I was silent for the rest of the car ride.

When we finally got to school, people were pointing and staring at how we arrived together. I looked at Brett, and he was soaking up the attention. He was standing tall and smirking, throwing the occasional wink or smile at girls along the way. I rolled my eyes at this. All the other girl's glared at me... You know, just another day.

In English, Brett sat next to me again. I received a few more glares for this, which I ignored.

At lunch, Brett and Cameron were sitting with us again. Cameron was fun to be around, and pretty hilarious, but he was also really nice. I'm not saying he wasn't like Brett at times, though...

"Oh, did you hear about the tryouts?" Laur asked me at lunch. When I shook my head, she continued. "They're being preponed to Friday. The coaches are going to be gone for a bit or something, so they had to move it up to then."

"Okay... I think I'll be ready," I replied calmly. I enjoyed running and was good at it. I knew it, Coach knew it, and my teammates knew it.

"You guys will be trying out on the field, right?" Alex asked Brett and Cam. They nodded. "Okay, we'll be on the track. You should watch Rai, she's the best one on the team every year, by far!"

I blushed. "I'm not that good. Stop exaggerating so much," I denied. The guys looked at each other, impressed, even after I denied it.

"I want to watch you run. What's your best event?" Cameron asked.

"Sprints! She is amazing at them, the 100's and the 200's. She blows away the competition!" Laur cheered. "Just wait until you see her."   

Thanks for reading. I know I'm repetitive and annoying ;) But it means a lot to me when I get comments. :) <3