Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

One month later-

"Geez, what could be this important?" Laur whined as I yanked her into the abandoned school bathroom.

I ignored her and closed the entrance door. Crouching, I checked to make sure nobody was in the stalls. Then I went back to Lauren who stood impatiently. "I like Brett."

She rolled her eyes. "It's about time! I was getting sick of the longing gazes and lovestruck grins you two swapped."

"Well then..."

"Look, you should make the first move. That's what you told me to do with Trevor, and we're going on our..." she thought for a moment before recalling, "seventh date after school on Friday. He's my boyfriend. My parents want to meet him, too. Anyway, it's your choice what to do, but prom is one way to go."

"Prom? You think I should ask him to prom?" I panicked.

"Well, I guess not. That's not for a long time... You could at least say you like him and go on a date," she advised. "How did you even come to this realization in the first place?"

I chuckled at the memory. "Well, I was in the shower this morning--that's where all great ideas and realizations are formed. I was thinking about Brett, then about how much I think about Brett, then about how I like Brett, then about how I like like Brett."

Laur shook her head with an amused smile on her face. "Great. Now can we please go to lunch? I'm hungry!"

I laughed and we exited the bathroom. Once in the cafeteria, we both bought our lunches and went to our table. "Hey, everyone. Sorry we're late."

"It's fine," Alex said.

"Yeah, we were having an interesting conversation," Brett said with a smirk.

"Where were you?" Cameron asked.

I paused. "We, um--"

"Yes, where were you? I was looking forward to seeing you," a familiar voice said.

I went rigid, and Brett scooted closer to me protectively. I noticed that Cam did the same thing to Alex, and her cheeks were slightly pink.

I slowly turned in my seat to face him. Why? What did I do to deserve this?

He stood there with an innocent smile and mischievous gleam in his eyes, just how I remembered. "Hello, Raina."

Dun, dun, DUN! OMG, who could it be? Such a cliffhanger, I know. Thank you to my best friend, Kotlcfan2, for being so supportive. As I've mentioned before, both of our favorite books are the Keeper of the Lost Cities series (by Shannon Messenger). She's writing an amazing fanfiction on that, so you should read those. I promise you won't regret it. Anyway, THANK YOU for reading. Please vote, comment, share, and follow me. Until next time, mwah!