The 48

A/N So, two down :( The chapters are know going to follow the number of people alive in each chapter which hopefully that makes sense

A/N So, two down :( The chapters are know going to follow the number of people alive in each chapter which hopefully that makes sense. Enjoy this chapter!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We need to figure out what we're working with here, I need to know what's beyond the forest." My fingers were barely grazing Cara's skin as I treated her leg.

"Well then let's go." Caila was leant up against the log next to my makeshift workspace. She hadn't left my side since Robbie had died yesterday, forcing me to eat each time Elena and Dailia had cooked a meal. The lesbian couple had taken it upon themselves to keep everyone feed, they liked to joke saying; at least being a housewife has finally paid off. I hated to do it but I had spoken to them about rationing out the food, if we were lucky we'd have enough food for two meals a day for 50 people for a month. I'd never heard of a rescue team taking a month to find a fallen plane, but something deep down also told me that it shouldn't have taken them this long either.

"I couldn't leave all these people, what if something happened?" I responded, addressing the only reason why I hadn't already taken off searching the rest of the island.

"I think I can manage, plus you've gotten everyone under control- and I've been watching everything you do." Rukma, the middle Indian sister, spoke up as she paused her work stitching up a young boys shoulder. His deltoid muscle was exposed, the flesh around it irritated and his face shaded with white and green. My heart ached as I knew I didn't have the medicine to save him. Lying him down onto the makeshift beds we'd created, Rukma continued. "I know I'm not a doctor or anything, but being a nurse- you pick up things. Please, if it means you can find some more food or even a way off this island I couldn't live with myself knowing I could have helped too."

"We will be home before dark." I answered all there questioning eyes with my simple statement.

"Be safe." She muttered, taking over my hands on Cara's leg. The young blonde smiled up at me but it didn't reach her eyes- I could see she was struggling and I wanted nothing more than to end help her.

"Dru," Cara grabbed onto my shirt hem before I could stand up. "Can you bring back any purple flowers you find? I can't find any and Nancy- that was her favourite colour." The tears swelled in her eyes as she spoke. I had found out that her class had been on their way for a school field trip and after take off her boyfriend asked to switch seats with her best friend. The same boyfriend I'd watch her take a massive right hook to on the first day. Her best friend, Nancy, had been impaled instantly and her boyfriend had lived. They hadn't spoken since, but I could see him out of the corner of my eyes- standing at the edge of my workspace his eyes never once leaving Cara.

"Of corse." I threw her a weak smile, I knew what it felt like to lose your best friend here and I would make damn sure I found the purple flowers for the broken girl.